firearm assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give me a couple of examples of times you would draw your gun.

whenever i sincerely felt myself or a loved one was in danger.
someone breaking into the house, someone trying to attack/rob us/me/them with a weapon. serious shit only.

I'm sorry but it's impossible to take you seriously when you try to drive home the point that you like to fight a lot and garner satisfaction out of hitting people, and yet you are a responsible medical professional who wants to carry two guns with laser sights because it looks badass. You think we're being harsh? Go post this on a gun forum and see what kind of responses you get. Within an hour you'll have about 100 "edited by admin" replies.

Your perceptions of reality and reality itself are most likely parallel lines. They won't ever meet. I can't count the number of guys I've met who "like to fight" are "badasses" and "always get into shit when they're out". That song and dance haven't changed for eons. Invariably anyone who calls themself a badass isn't a badass at all. They're just a loud-mouthed asshole. Now I know that after reading this you will just want to own a bunch of sweet-ass hand cannons even more, but try to listen to what the people here are telling you. You sound like a 16-year-old on the internet, not a rational adult shopping for protection.

That having been said, .40s are great for carry weapons. Good combination of punch and capacity. You don't need two of them, because you don't shoot with a gun in each hand. Not if you expect to hit anything anyway. Please don't think that movies are realistic, because they're the exact opposite. As a general rule, if you see it in a movie, don't ever try it.

One .40 will suffice, with however many extra clips you think you need. Also keep in mind that self defense situations never evolve into prolonged gun battles with people hunkered down behind cover and scores of empty casings littering the ground. This isn't Iraq. Fight or flight kicks in almost immediately. If you pull a weapon to defend yourself it is almost guaranteed that the situation is going to end shortly thereafter. People want to run away, not eat a bullet.

even in your first line you assume " because it looks badass"

1 40 is fine, like i said i just like balance. i doubt i could shoot a target 10 feet away left handed. lol

i know movies arent realistic as well, kinda like boondock saints, they make cracks about the bs in movies.

thats not why i want it, im not looking for cool points here. no one ever gave me a chance to explain, april seems to be the only straigh one here in terms of asking me good questions.

Then you shouldn't be fighting either, because people can and have died from that.

once again, i fought in clubs, with rings and such.

but i also got into a lot in high school. if anyone of you would go out with me youd be impressed. on the way things happen.

i think everybody made a false assumption.

In all actuality, no. They know you from the internet, and you portrayed yourself as a gangbangin' thug. You aren't like that at all, but your comments about guns and your temper isn't a good combination.

nobody clarified either, they just thought up some bullshit and rolled with it.

This isn't true either. You have a handful of people on here who have been carrying guns most of their lives telling you how it truly is. Seriously step back and look at your comments, would you give yourself a gun?

thats a total lack of respect. and the ignorance involved in that is what irritates me.

Again, besides the fact of a few attacks towards you every comment Knyte, Flynavy and even.. ugh FG made are valid.

if anybody ever spouted of shit about bikes, id be more than happy to hear them out, and enlighten them to any misunderstandings or what not. id never just bust balls. unless it was with a friend and all in fun

You can NOT compare bikes with guns. With a gun EVERYONES life around you is your hands. This is NOT a light subject and it has worked everyone up because of your callus approach to the subject.

I'm not attacking, just asking you to hear these guys out. They know what they are talking about. If they think you aren't fit to carry a weapon they are FUCKING DAMN RIGHT.

:heart: :heart:

Agreed.

It seems, to me, like they're trying to help you make the best decision possible. I would trust KNYTE's opinion on this subject and I understand his feelings regarding the garish way in which this has been approached. Stop bickering and learn something; other than Guitar Hero and fragging bitches in Gears of War this is his passion.

Amy and I are in the market for personal protection as well and KNYTE is the one I intend to direct my questions to when that time comes.

im pissed about how i was pounced on with assumptions. thats whats got me upset.

Respect? o_O You earn respect through actions and then you're humble about it.

The people who've been in many fights and can take care of themselves rarely talk about it. The most dangerous people you'll meet are the antithesis of talkative about it. It's likely youve been in many fights with people of the same class as yourself, lotta talk and etc. The reason you havent been hurt is because these certain people I'm talking about will avoid gangsta shit like the plague.

This isnt true on the internet though and I'd say for your own good to drop it and talk about your CCW.

its very rare that i discuss any of those situations, and i tell all my friends dont bring that stuff up. i do not want a tough guy or a punk reputation.

whenever i sincerely felt myself or a loved one was in danger.
someone breaking into the house, someone trying to attack/rob us/me/them with a weapon. serious shit only.

Those are good reasons. A gun HAS to be a last resort in every situation. Dead last because I don't want to see you behind bars. :heart:

Well, you certainly know your handguns. Outstanding choices.

I would get the new 45 ACP myself, if I had the money.

Having said that, you can get 14 rounds of 45 cal in the ACP version of the Springfield xp. Without checking, I can safely assume you can get the same number of rounds in the 40 SW.

So, unless you are traveling with a crowd that is dragging vampires out into the sunlight, I just don't see the need for that many opportunities at hand. It might make a fellow reckless, having a tendency not to aim and squeeze; after all, the object is to hit what you aim at and it doesn't take over 14 rounds to drop a bear (that is if you hit it).

Other than that, nice choice of shootin' irons.

thanks, i used a 45 last night and just wasnt comfortable, 40 is more than enough, and from what i heard the xd 40 is a good bang for my buck, and its only $480-$500

If you truly need to use the gun to protect yourself, you will be close enough to the individual that missing won't be an option. The laser is more of an added feature that looks cool but doesn't really do anything useful.

im starting to gather that, i assumed it would be a no brainer, just put the laser on the target and im good. but it sounds like practice is a better solution

Agreed.

It seems, to me, like they're trying to help you make the best decision possible. I would trust KNYTE's opinion on this subject and I understand his feelings regarding the garish way in which this has been approached. Stop bickering and learn something; other than Guitar Hero and fragging bitches in Gears of War this is his passion.

Amy and I are in the market for personal protection as well and KNYTE is the one I intend to direct my questions to when that time comes.

<3

I feel it necessary to point that both FlyNavy and FlamingGlory are just as well versed, if not more so, in such things as I am. I just happen to make my affection for responsible gun ownership and carry a much more publicized issue.

If you truly need to use the gun to protect yourself, you will be close enough to the individual that missing won't be an option. The laser is more of an added feature that looks cool but doesn't really do anything useful.

Ha ha, my wife knows more about guns than you do.

thats a total lack of respect. and the ignorance involved in that is what irritates me.

if anybody ever spouted of shit about bikes, id be more than happy to hear them out, and enlighten them to any misunderstandings or what not. id never just bust balls. unless it was with a friend and all in fun

:rolleyes:

I fervently stand by everything I've posted in this thread, and don't feel I made ANY false assumptions about your character or level responsibility in relation to carrying a firearm. To me you're just a high school bully looking for the next cheap thrill, only this is the real world bucko, and acting like an idiot while carrying gun will take you to a terrible place, faster than any bullet bike EVER could.

The bottom line is that you are not ready to carry a gun. Ask any of your cop friends about your "Look I'm Castor Troy LOLZ" style of carry and I'm sure they'd tell you the same thing.

edit: Here's an idea...

Copy your initial post, word for word, and go over to www.glocktalk.com and post it in the "Carry Issues" forum. When you get torn to be pieces by the people there, who are made up of career police officers, lifers in the military, and civilian gun nuts, come back we'll have a serious discussion about how I can help you get into the proper mind set for carrying a deadly weapon.

Last edited:
im starting to gather that, i assumed it would be a no brainer, just put the laser on the target and im good. but it sounds like practice is a better solution
It is. There is an entire training industry. A lot of people on gun forums schedule trips to professional training academies where they teach legalities of self defense, practical tactics, etc.

The most important thing is to actually get out to the range and shoot. Depending on the range you might be able to practice drawing and firing, clearing jams, etc. I'd ask your cop buddies about this, though as a forewarning cops arent necessarily good with guns simply because of they are cops.

You likely need basic firearm safety as well... It's not a skillset you can learn in a few days.

As per everyone else in the thread, the seriousness of this cannot be understated. It is not a hobby on par with fast cars or skydiving. Think more along the lines of your medical licence or practicing law.

Last edited:
if anyone of you would go out with me youd be impressed. on the way things happen.
What does this mean?

It comes across as you still get into a lot of stuff. If so, that means the central theme is you, whether you start it or not. A gun is not a good choice for you.

I think I took things on face value.

I complimented the choice of handguns but questioned the reality of packing two.

The explanation was that it was being done for balance.

Myself, I was an NRA Distinguished Rifleman, smallbore, when I was 12. I was raised in a police family, up in the mountains. I hunted with an Iver Johnson single shot 12 guage for turkey and small game... 306 springfield for deer. We lived on the meat we hunted. I have fired quite a few rifles, pistols and lived in the woods as a child. I have been a life-long member of the NRA.

Now, carrying a handgun in a city... well, I think it should be allowed so the bad guys are less likely to assault people, since they do not know who is armed.

Now, back to carrying two handguns. If you like handguns, carrying two may appeal to you. I would give you the benefit of the doubt.

I would rather deal with someone a bit flamboyant than a gun grabber.

...Yeah, you should read a little more about CCW.

http://ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=5&f=10

"Lasers" usually arent considered useful or practical, more practice on the other hand...

Small of your back is going to be hard to reach and youll print if you bend over.

It also takes two hands to hold a handgun. So...

Basically, I'm saying you're fucking retarded.

Ugh. 1 day. :dont:

The more I read this the more it absolutely infuriates me.

People like you get guns taken away from people like me.

Idiots like you get people (most likely yourself) killed.

Dumbasses like you show your gun off to the WRONG people and get it printed in the paper that guns are bad.

Don't buy a gun.

Don't look at guns.

Don't talk about guns.

BASED OFF OF THIS THREAD I HAVE DETERMINED THAT YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE ENOUGH TO OWN ONE.

edit:

I can see you now...

Riding around on your bullet bike, with your two laser-equipped XD's showing under your t-shirt, flipping off everyone you see because you're armed and that entitles you to be badass.

Way to go, you rule at life.

Ugh again. 1 day.

knytes anger in this threads gonna get his ass kicked.

first of all you can all shut the fuck with your bullshit.

yeah i have a sport bike, yeah i am a badass, yeah i want to own a gun.

but your forgetting yeah i am responsible, and yeah i am mature.

i am a medical professional. my goal is to save lives, not take them. but if someone threatens a loved one, then i will do what is needed.

you could have simply stated the facts in a better manner. like hey have you though about what would happen if you fall or wreck your bike wearing this,
or in terms of concealment it wouldnt be your best bet.

no, instead you self righeous fucks get on here and try and flame me like im some sort of crooked hat baggy jeans little gangsta from the hood.

now if anybody would like to be mature an advise me on what they think is better or what they'd preffer, then by all means carry on. i appreciate the advise. other wise blow me and stop clicking on my threads.

and dont mention all the typos, i dont have time to proof read or spell check.

ugh, 1 day.

Status
Not open for further replies.