Ontopic Find all your Covid-19 needs here!

So it seems not everyone wins in the vaccine race. Merck was developing two possible vaccine candidates and had to shitcan them after Phase I trial data came back and it seemed that the vaccine caused a weaker response in people than the virus itself did. While it sucks, its another great example of how science works. Not every candidate will win, and some will huge money losses.

In other news, the data from the Phase III trials of Johnson & Johnson's vaccine should be available in the next 1-2 weeks. The preliminary data looked good, and most importantly - they tested a single dose. While it's probably not as effective as the double shots of the vaccines we have now, the data still looks really good!

:bast:

I mean... Moderna had never made a successful vaccine before their COVID one.

Someone at Merck is getting shitcanned.
FWIW, they're apparently taking some of the data and trying to pivot. Their vaccine would have been awesome because it would have harnessed our body to produce the spike protein for more than a couple of days, granting long lasting immunity from a single shot. Apparently, they think it might work better as an intranasal vaccine.

The real problem with these other vaccines at this point is an issue of ethics. At what point do people stop enrolling in vaccine trials when they can get one that's proven to work. I think many of these really late vaccines are doomed.

• Gravy
Reactions: JAXvillain
I mean... Moderna had never made a successful vaccine before their COVID one.
And they basically had it designed in a couple of days. If you're at all interested at how they came up with the source code, this is a FANTASTIC article. Make sure you can have 10 or so minutes of silence to read it.

And they basically had it designed in a couple of days. If you're at all interested at how they came up with the source code, this is a FANTASTIC article. Make sure you can have 10 or so minutes of silence to read it.

fuckin' wow. Thats an awesome article, and I didnt realize until now how DIFFERENT mRNA vaccines are. Its like the change from abacus to digital computers.

Also, the fact that a DNA PRINTER is a thing, that can take it code, and spit out DNA

also, sure does seem an awful lot like human beings and all life in general was designed/coded. Either that, or when we decided to write coding languages there was some inherent subconcious concept that made us write the coding language like our own genetic code was written

• Love
  • Gravy
Reactions: fly and JAXvillain
I do wonder why the RNA codons to amino acids mapping table has a bunch of synonymous reactions though. Whats the value to UUA, UUG, CUU, CUC, etc all creating Leucine? While they all produce Leucine, its like compiler optimizations in some ways it seems. CUU and CUG produce the same amino acid, but the CUG produces more of it somehow.

fuckin' wow. Thats an awesome article, and I didnt realize until now how DIFFERENT mRNA vaccines are. Its like the change from abacus to digital computers.

Also, the fact that a DNA PRINTER is a thing, that can take it code, and spit out DNA

also, sure does seem an awful lot like human beings and all life in general was designed/coded. Either that, or when we decided to write coding languages there was some inherent subconcious concept that made us write the coding language like our own genetic code was written
They are already talking of using mRNA vaccines to prevent HIV

Settle down, Lee Strobel.

• Haha
Reactions: Petunia
I do wonder why the RNA codons to amino acids mapping table has a bunch of synonymous reactions though. Whats the value to UUA, UUG, CUU, CUC, etc all creating Leucine? While they all produce Leucine, its like compiler optimizations in some ways it seems. CUU and CUG produce the same amino acid, but the CUG produces more of it somehow.
It's almost as if there wasn't an intelligent designer. Hmmmm

Yeah, that's probably the coolest article I've read so far about this shit. The shit that went into science like this shit:

So in the BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine, every U has been replaced by 1-methyl-3’-pseudouridylyl, denoted by Ψ. The really clever bit is that although this replacement Ψ placates (calms) our immune system, it is accepted as a normal U by relevant parts of the cell.

We basically found a way to build things that make the immune system ignore them for some reason. BTW, don't let that sentence scare you. Go read the article if you're even slightly a computer nerd. It's a really approachable article and fascinating.