Ontopic Find all your Covid-19 needs here!

So my brother the fireman got his second Moderna shot Friday. Said the side effects were about like the first one, bit of a sore shoulder and get tired easy. Didn't drill him for fine details but he would've said something if it was beyond just a little inconvenience.
Said they told him 2 weeks until he's considered immune. Takes a little time for the body to react and build up antibodies.

I asked if his wife and kids would get bumped up the list due to higher risk from him through his job, etc., but he said no, nobody gets bumped up, they're in their own category, which seemed a bit off to me but it's not like there's a bazillion doses waiting for everyone.

They live a little ways inside minnesota, he works in North dakota, no idea how either of those states structure their priorities or which one might overrule the other in a deal like that.

Do know when they started vaccinating fire/first responders they were doing 1/3 of the Department at a time, I think weekly, to make sure they could get enough shipped in everyone would get the second dose when they're supposed to.

So there it is. I'll let y'all know if he starts growing a third arm out the side of his neck or something but for now, from what I know, both from reading at least abstracts if not entire studies, and some firsthand real world reports, it doesn't seem like there's a whole hell of a lot to be afraid of, @Maureen

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and august
I thought this was interesting. I have a friend who caught covid early on. She's a medical assistant and caught it from a patient who just returned from traveling to Italy last spring before the travel bans and quarantining after travel was in place. She spent a month in ICU. On two separate occasions her family was told she wasn't going to make it. Somehow she pulled through. She had to go through a few months of physical therapy and returned to work in early fall. Her main lingering effect was her taste and smell. She got some of it back but not 100%. Some things she still couldn't taste or smell and other things have never tasted "right" again. When she was offered the chance to get the vaccine she jumped at it. She was told it would take about two weeks after her second shot for the vaccine to take full effect. This past Friday marked two weeks. By the end of this weekend her sense of taste and smell were back to 100%. She can smell things, like lavender, that she couldn't smell at all post covid. She said she ate like a horse this weekend because she wanted to eat everything that in the past didn't taste right to her. So did the vaccine cure her lingering effects? Was she suffering from the long Covid @Dory and others have talked about and this vaccine killed it off? Or is it just coincidence?

I thought this was interesting. I have a friend who caught covid early on. She's a medical assistant and caught it from a patient who just returned from traveling to Italy last spring before the travel bans and quarantining after travel was in place. She spent a month in ICU. On two separate occasions her family was told she wasn't going to make it. Somehow she pulled through. She had to go through a few months of physical therapy and returned to work in early fall. Her main lingering effect was her taste and smell. She got some of it back but not 100%. Some things she still couldn't taste or smell and other things have never tasted "right" again. When she was offered the chance to get the vaccine she jumped at it. She was told it would take about two weeks after her second shot for the vaccine to take full effect. This past Friday marked two weeks. By the end of this weekend her sense of taste and smell were back to 100%. She can smell things, like lavender, that she couldn't smell at all post covid. She said she ate like a horse this weekend because she wanted to eat everything that in the past didn't taste right to her. So did the vaccine cure her lingering effects? Was she suffering from the long Covid @Dory and others have talked about and this vaccine killed it off? Or is it just coincidence?
That's super crazy! Maybe it is a positive side effects of the vaccine. I mean my immune system keeps attacking my body (I think), that's part of my long covid effects. Stands to reason if my immune system learns how to actually get rid of this virus maybe I'll feel better? I'll keep you clued in! I won't be having my second vaccine til 12th April so who knows if it will help at all.

Our school system just started hybrid learning. We made the choice to keep our kids at home. Though, the missus has to go risk her health to babysit some high school students. Meanwhile, they extended the class day by three hours. The kindergarteners could barely make it to noon sitting behind a screen. This also makes my day three hours longer because it is close to impossible for me to work and help the kdis. Such utter bullshit.

we took the kids to the park yesterday to ride their scooters/bikes on the trails. Masked up, cross to the other side of the 15-20 foot trail when others came past, etc.

I was doing what i called the "asshole count". We passed 40ish unique people, and only 8 were wearing masks.

People have given up.

we took the kids to the park yesterday to ride their scooters/bikes on the trails. Masked up, cross to the other side of the 15-20 foot trail when others came past, etc.

I was doing what i called the "asshole count". We passed 40ish unique people, and only 8 were wearing masks.

People have given up.

those shit sticks never wore masks.

People have given up.
Are you meant to be wearing them outdoors?

People have given up.

@Mrs. Valve went running the other day on a busy weekend on the Capital Crescent Trail.

Complete opposite, very few not wearing masks.

People have given up.
I never wear a mask outside. The science says it doesn't matter and I'm not going to wear one just to make people feel better. :iono:

I never wear a mask outside. The science says it doesn't matter and I'm not going to wear one just to make people feel better. :iono:
Same. I wear them in stores but you guys would probably call me one of the idiots regardless. We see family Regularly and do homeschool group park days and hikes and don’t wear them.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer

I wear one when I'm around people that are not in my household. I do not accept any amount of risk. I'm a regular disc golfer and I play a whole round with a mask when I play with others. As well as 6 feet apart.