Ontopic Find all your Covid-19 needs here!

I’m starting science and reading with my 4 year old this year. They’ve proven kids that start science earlier develop better and are stronger in other subjects due to learning those critical thinking/observation skills. The science we are doing is for little ones so it’s all nature/play/exploration based. I’m excited for it.

That's what science really is. It ain't all about dissecting frogs and figuring out molecular bonds. It's literally teach you how to think. How to make use of that tool we call a brain.

The arts is the other half of that equation. It takes both to have a balanced mind. People can lean towards one or the other, some a little, some quite a bit, but if you just go in whole hog with either while ignoring the other you just gonna end up a broken person.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
That's what science really is. It ain't all about dissecting frogs and figuring out molecular bonds. It's literally teach you how to think. How to make use of that tool we call a brain.

The arts is the other half of that equation. It takes both to have a balanced mind. People can lean towards one or the other, some a little, some quite a bit, but if you just go in whole hog with either while ignoring the other you just gonna end up a broken person.
How to solve problems by George polya.

You are talking scientific method. That's actually classical Greco/roman thinking. It's not limited to science though. Euclid's geometry was my start for it. It applys to everything.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
How to solve problems by George polya.

You are talking scientific method. That's actually classical Greco/roman thinking. It's not limited to science though. Euclid's geometry was my start for it. It applys to everything.

Well put.

And yeah I'm separating scientific thought/method/analysis from science disciplines like astronomy, biology, etc.

Well put.

And yeah I'm separating scientific thought/method/analysis from science disciplines like astronomy, biology, etc.
Yeah fuck off with the facts it's the method. I never adapted to rote memorization. You put me in the woods and I can build you a log cabin etc.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Oh I’m with you. She doesn’t really need science or higher level math (she’ll be doing a consumer math next year, not pre call). She wants to work for movies. Animation or storyboard illustration.
is she really so exceptional that she couldnt learn anything from others regarding art techniques, styles, flow, etc? Even if you're a good artist, I imagine theres things to learn about animation/drawing/etc that you need to learn from someone else. Taking animation as an example, pretty sure thats all done on computers these days, so learning the software would be beneficial

is she really so exceptional that she couldnt learn anything from others regarding art techniques, styles, flow, etc? Even if you're a good artist, I imagine theres things to learn about animation/drawing/etc that you need to learn from someone else. Taking animation as an example, pretty sure thats all done on computers these days, so learning the software would be beneficial
Oh she def needs professional development. She has the raw talent but it needs refining. Hence why I’m supporting her desire to go to college. Even if she doesn’t go for a traditional degree I’ll encourage her to enroll in 2-3 art classes a semester. We need to do research and find out how important a degree is to getting a job she wants. I did most of my art instruction in college and took every art class I could till I dropped out and had babies. It was awesome.

Oh she def needs professional development. She has the raw talent but it needs refining. Hence why I’m supporting her desire to go to college. Even if she doesn’t go for a traditional degree I’ll encourage her to enroll in 2-3 art classes a semester. We need to do research and find out how important a degree is to getting a job she wants. I did most of my art instruction in college and took every art class I could till I dropped out and had babies. It was awesome.
I just chatted with a friend that works at DHX (now Wildbrain) here in Halifax doing animation work. They animated Inspector Gadget for a while, they're now doing some other kids show that I can't remember.

NSCC here has a two year diploma course that teaches digital animation and most people who work there (including her) did that course, but there's also people working there without a degree that are self-taught. They told me animation is soul sucking work at times, you can't be creative - you're handed artwork and a storyline and your job is to make stuff move on the screen, so you'll probably want a second creative outlet on the side.

DHX is super secret about the software they use but apparently Toon Boom is the industry standard for 2D, and Maya/Blender get used for 3D stuff.

They suggested to get your kid a Wacom One tablet and let them loose with it. Let them make cool shit and put it on the internet and build themselves a portfolio of work, or realize it's not what they want to do before they get too committed into school or whatever.

• Gravy
Reactions: kiwi
I just chatted with a friend that works at DHX (now Wildbrain) here in Halifax doing animation work. They animated Inspector Gadget for a while, they're now doing some other kids show that I can't remember.

NSCC here has a two year diploma course that teaches digital animation and most people who work there (including her) did that course, but there's also people working there without a degree that are self-taught. They told me animation is soul sucking work at times, you can't be creative - you're handed artwork and a storyline and your job is to make stuff move on the screen, so you'll probably want a second creative outlet on the side.

DHX is super secret about the software they use but apparently Toon Boom is the industry standard for 2D, and Maya/Blender get used for 3D stuff.

They suggested to get your kid a Wacom One tablet and let them loose with it. Let them make cool shit and put it on the internet and build themselves a portfolio of work, or realize it's not what they want to do before they get too committed into school or whatever.
Super good info. She has a Wacom and has been using it for years. She’s due for an upgrade though. She is mostly interested in 2d so I’ll get her that software. She’s been playing with blender a little.

• Gravy
Reactions: pacojas