Ontopic Find all your Covid-19 needs here!

science is kinda fuckin' important, or else you end up with anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, flat earthers, etc.

The most important thing you learn via science isnt even some scientific fact, its the ability to think critically and analytically.
Not sure I learned that from science to be honest. More from philosophy, politics and some decent parenting about being curious. Science isn't my thing. Spanish definitely wasn't and I tried 6 different languages at school. I'm just not made that way. Everyone's different and has their own interests. It's what keeps things interesting.

Not sure I learned that from science to be honest. More from philosophy, politics and some decent parenting about being curious. Science isn't my thing. Spanish definitely wasn't and I tried 6 different languages at school. I'm just not made that way. Everyone's different and has their own interests. It's what keeps things interesting.
language as its taught in schools i get your point. Being exposed to other cultures is a good thing for humans, but learning high school spanish doesnt do that.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
language as its taught in schools i get your point. Being exposed to other cultures is a good thing for humans, but learning high school spanish doesnt do that.
Indeed. Luckily we're near a lot of different countries and cultures here.

This isn't a post about kiwi and parenting but one thing I will always appreciate about how @DJBrenton raised me was without a direction that was pushed on me, no heavy expectation of ending up a certain way and no great pressure to achieve academically if it wasn't my thing. Being free from that weight of expectation is something too few people get, and I see how crippling it can be for so many people who end up later in life with regrets and wondering what ifs because they were raised to think too much about what other people wanted rather than doing what was true for them. I didn't need any science lessons to know any of that or be inquisitive and critical.

• Gravy
Reactions: pacojas
Indeed. Luckily we're near a lot of different countries and cultures here.

This isn't a post about kiwi and parenting but one thing I will always appreciate about how @DJBrenton raised me was without a direction that was pushed on me, no heavy expectation of ending up a certain way and no great pressure to achieve academically if it wasn't my thing. Being free from that weight of expectation is something too few people get, and I see how crippling it can be for so many people who end up later in life with regrets and wondering what ifs because they were raised to think too much about what other people wanted rather than doing what was true for them. I didn't need any science lessons to know any of that or be inquisitive and critical.

Unrelated to critical thinking, and i cant speak for your dad in any way, but I know i would be super worried about you during the years you were homeless/etc. First of all, just worried for your day to day safety, and second that I did something wrong that led to you being in that place.

Now us forum folks only saw snapshots of your life, so I may have a way worse picture of how it was than it actually was.

Unrelated to critical thinking, and i cant speak for your dad in any way, but I know i would be super worried about you during the years you were homeless/etc. First of all, just worried for your day to day safety, and second that I did something wrong that led to you being in that place.

Now us forum folks only saw snapshots of your life, so I may have a way worse picture of how it was than it actually was.
It was all learning and I always had parents I could go back to without judgement which is more than most people could say. I'm sure it was very worrying, but on the flipside I'm trusted enough as an independent person to not need saving and to be my own person. A lot of people would be too ashamed or too judged to be real about things.

Youre absolutely right. You can't begin to imagine how awful that period was or how worried I was about @Dory during that period. But you know what? I had faith that no matter what transpired during those couple of years, @Dory had an upbringing and personal character that meant she'd come out the other side the amazing person she did. Parenting isn't always as obvious as its portrayed. Sometimes leaps of faith are needed.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

It was all learning and I always had parents I could go back to without judgement which is more than most people could say. I'm sure it was very worrying, but on the flipside I'm trusted enough as an independent person to not need saving and to be my own person. A lot of people would be too ashamed or too judged to be real about things.
that first bit makes all the difference, that you knew you could always go home, and you wouldnt get stuck somewhere bad and not have a place to go.

Even at 4 years old I tell my kiddo that if she's ever done something and needs help that she can come to me and I will help her and not be mad

Youre absolutely right. You can't begin to imagine how awful that period was or how worried I was about @Dory during that period. But you know what? I had faith that no matter what transpired during those couple of years, @Dory had an upbringing and personal character that meant she'd come out the other side the amazing person she did. Parenting isn't always as obvious as its portrayed. Sometimes leaps of faith are needed.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
This bit right here!

One thing I've taken away so far on my journey to becoming a therapist is how most people have hang ups about parental expectations and external pressures. It sticks with people into old age and eats them up inside. People on my training course don't understand my confidence or honesty about myself because they weren't raised to be either of those things. I accept that's how most people have been programmed, but the freedom not to have that programming is worth more than gold.

• Gravy
Reactions: Hoff Kinkmeister
Also yes as well because as much as most people desire to control others, nobody likes being controlled and children and young adults are included in that. Parents may think they should have sway and a right to make decisions for others but that often ends up with resentment.

Everyone always made fun of me for being homeschooled.

Look up unschooling. It's radical 70s back to the woods crap but it has some important tents.

Basically kids want to learn. The industrial system of a then b then c doesn't always work. If they get bored enough they'll start doing shit on their own. Idk worked for me sorta.
I homeschool 3 of my kids. I’ve already told her if she wants to homeschool her day would look drastically different. She isn’t interested. She wants to go to high school and claims college after, but the attitude just isn’t there to make it happen. I’ll support her whatever path she chooses. She’ll figure it out eventually. She is mad passionate about art. Spends 6-8 hours a day drawing.

she’s clearly an artist .. and if that’s what she wants to do more power to her, but for success even in the art world. she should know the fundamentals of how to at least run her small business .. i mean will she be selling her art?
im kinda excited for her future tho, kids who are passionate about their craft like her, kick ass!
Oh I’m with you. She doesn’t really need science or higher level math (she’ll be doing a consumer math next year, not pre call). She wants to work for movies. Animation or storyboard illustration.

science is kinda fuckin' important, or else you end up with anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, flat earthers, etc.

The most important thing you learn via science isnt even some scientific fact, its the ability to think critically and analytically.
I’m starting science and reading with my 4 year old this year. They’ve proven kids that start science earlier develop better and are stronger in other subjects due to learning those critical thinking/observation skills. The science we are doing is for little ones so it’s all nature/play/exploration based. I’m excited for it.

I homeschool 3 of my kids. I’ve already told her if she wants to homeschool her day would look drastically different. She isn’t interested. She wants to go to high school and claims college after, but the attitude just isn’t there to make it happen. I’ll support her whatever path she chooses. She’ll figure it out eventually. She is mad passionate about art. Spends 6-8 hours a day drawing.
I can respect it. She's gonna have to learn the ancillaries to being an artist tho. Building a brand, marketing etc.

I was just saying it's not entirely bad. Kinda strange she doesn't want the homeschool.

Im not sure she loves my answer of “to graduate cause someone decided that’s what it takes” to her questions of why she has to take all these other courses. I have no other Answer for her though. You want to graduate, you fulfill the requirements. You don’t? Find a different path to a career, I’m good either way.
just stop complaining to me about public school requirements, there’s nothing I can do about it!
Obviously she can still complain to me and I’ll keep listening but then I’ll come here and vent.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer

It seems apathy towards just about everything outside of the drawing she's super into is an over-arching theme here.
I don't know how to break that but there must be some way for her to understand she needs some grasp of the other basic life skills to support/enhance the art she likes so much.

Anyone local who has a functioning art studio, photography business, recording studio, or anything arts related she might listen to who would tell her you need some other life/business skills to make it all happen?