[Article] Finally, the pho thread. With a gui cuon bonus.

The local commander set the bar, no one else. I was passing PT tests with a mid 80%.

Jesus christ.

Then THAT is the bar. It's not like its IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to meet a BMI standard. As an extreme example, eat 1000 calories a day. I guarantee that you'll get there.

I won't, and you can't make me.

And I'm not saying you should. But if BMI is the bar for employment, health insurance, blowjob discounts, or whatever, then its the bar. Sure, it can be changed/adjusted/thown out/etc but until then everyone has a choice to meet it or not.

But that only measures body fat. And is inaccurate. OMG WHY WOULD YOU USE THAT?!?!?

BTW, what were the results of your last caliper test?
The problem with caliper tests is that they are hard to learn how to do properly, so it takes more time to train people how to do them. That and the fact that they can have a wide margin of error are the two main reasons they aren't used regularly.

Last edited:
The problem with caliper tests is that they are hard to learn how to do properly, so it takes more time to train people how to do them. That's the main reason they aren't used regularly.

Exactly. BMI is easier. There are 10,000 more accurate, more invasive ways to determine relative health. I don't think anyone denies that.

And I'm not saying you should. But if BMI is the bar for employment, health insurance, blowjob discounts, or whatever, then its the bar. Sure, it can be changed/adjusted/thown out/etc but until then everyone has a choice to meet it or not.
It wasn't the bar for my job.
It was an interruption to my job

Everything you argue against you say "show me the studies" that prove it's a bad idea to not do something, why are you sticking by BMI when you can easily find studies that show it's ineffectiveness?

I for one, do not condone the use of a pressure cooker to make stock. And I make a LOT of stock.
Curious, what's your reasoning?

And stop shitting up my thread with the BMI argument, assholes. BMI is bullshit and makes no allowance for frame size or muscle mass. </discussion>

Curious, what's your reasoning?

And stop shitting up my thread with the BMI argument, assholes. BMI is bullshit and makes no allowance for frame size or muscle mass. </discussion>

boiling a stock in general will coagulate and cloud the end result, even passing it through a chinois. . You certainly can do it, but i roll old school and make multipurpose stocks. also, for chicken stock, i add chicken feet for extra gelatin and flavour. try it, it's awesome - great for thickening a sauce reduction. I have a couple ginormous stock pots and make huge batches, especially in the fall for soup-making season.

BMI is a poor system overall, but it's a general baseline for the average fat american to see how fat they are.

Last edited:
boiling a stock in general will coagulate and cloud the end result, even passing it through a chinois. . You certainly can do it, but i roll old school and make multipurpose stocks. also, for chicken stock, i add chicken feet for extra gelatin and flavour. try it, it's awesome - great for thickening a sauce reduction. I have a couple ginormous stock pots and make huge batches, especially in the fall for soup-making season.
Right - I should edit the first post with this. When you're using the pressure cooker, the goal is to simmer with the pressure cooker, not boil - you want an extremely faint hiss coming out of it, not a steam whistle. Having a rolling boil happening will result in cloudy stock, like you say.

I find I never have a shortage of gelatin when I make stock. The leftover broth from this pho went into the fridge, and it set into pho jello. :drool: