File synchronization software

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
I just picked up a new laptop as I am getting laid off soon and I have to transfer files from my work PC as well as general clean up of my machines at home.

I am looking for some software that will do file synchronization. And not just syncing from one folder to another, but also the subfolders. Also I would like the software to have the ability to merge the newest and/or largest version of the files of both folders to be completely synchronized.

I would also like the software to do one other very important but apparently elusive task, to find duplicates.

I would like the software to search a target location and all of its subfolders for files with similar filenames and/or sizes and/or dates and flag them as duplicates or to merge them. This last task seems to be the sticking point in finding this software.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Wk3 server. Use file synchronization, and just redirect your 'my documents' folders to live on the server.

case closed.

xcopy /e /d will do the trick so long as the source and destination directory structures are the same. All that other stuff you wanted? Yeah... you're on your own for that.

xcopy /e /d will do the trick so long as the source and destination directory structures are the same. All that other stuff you wanted? Yeah... you're on your own for that.

It's that other stuff I can't find software for, unfortunately.

I need duplicate software to sort through the heaps of legally owned mp3's i have where I know at least 1000 of them are dupes.. So if you find something that works good, then let me know, else I'll make it..

Last edited:
I need duplicate software to sort through the 30000 files i have where I know at least 1000 of them are dupes.. So if you find something that works good, then let me know, else I'll make it..

This is partly the reason I need this software, too. :shady:

Last edited:
synctoy: free, works with windows only.
syncback: free, works with windows only, paid versions available as well.

also could use rsync for linux and mount the windows computers over a network via samba.

That first one looks more like what I was looking for, but I will try it out and let you know. Thanks!

If there was such a thing like WinDiff but for files instead of lines of code, this is what I am looking for.

A coworker of mine recommended WinMerge as it is open source so it can be modified to support recursive indexing functionality. PT, if you want to take a look at that, it might be an option.