Fifa World Cup 2006 Thread

ceiling fly said:
Seriously, what am I NOT watching? Did you find the game exciting? I'm really trying to understand this worldwide craze.
individual ball control, team ball control, team field positioning, attack methods, player endurance, slide tackles - if you grew up on soccer you're just in to it, but it's no big deal if you're not :D

ceiling fly said:
Seriously, what am I NOT watching? Did you find the game exciting? I'm really trying to understand this worldwide craze.
Record it, watch it while FFing. It'll make more sense.

I kind of enjoyed it yesterday, and haven't watched a game in forever.

It's like of like a big build up to an orgasm. Lots of (fore) playing going on then finally someone scores near the end.

It's rather hot if you think of it that way.

elpmis said:
individual ball control, team ball control, team field positioning, attack methods, player endurance, slide tackles - if you grew up on soccer you're just in to it, but it's no big deal if you're not :D
I know, but I just wanna understand...

Ball control: None, almost neither team could possess the ball for more than about 15 seconds

Positioning: 80% of the game is spent at midfield

Attack methods: Rare, and I'm clueless about them

Endurance: Those fucking guys are amazing. That field is WAAAY too big.

Slide tackles: The game is a little violent, but nothing really cool or excessive. Most of it involves being brushed by an opponent and then falling down crying and acting like a pussy.

So in closing, I give up again on soccer.

ceiling fly said:

Ball control: None, almost neither team could possess the ball for more than about 15 seconds

Slide tackles: The game is a little violent, but nothing really cool or excessive. Most of it involves being brushed by an opponent and then falling down crying and acting like a pussy.

obviously there's more to it than what we're talking about, but if you don't like a sport you don't like a sport - like NASCAR, the first time I saw it I hated it and I haven't been persuaded otherwise yet

ceiling fly said:

It's just a different kinda game. :eek:

I've been watching...some good games...I wanted germany to advance too, oh well
france got LUCKY yesterday because that was not a foul...henry fell by virtue of stepping on the defensemans ankle/foot...whole game was decided over one bad call which I think pretty much blew...I wanted france to win anyway because they have a better shot against italy imo but I wanted them to win fairly, which they kinda didn't...not their fault though...bad officiating

I watched my first soccer game weekend before last because of this thread. I was staying at my parents. I watched it in Spanish, the England and Ecuador game. Watching it in Spanish kept everyone out of my hair but then they reeled me in with the next game. I couldn't figure out what country translates to lower lands or lands beneath. It wasn't til I saw their abbreviation Ned that I recognized it. It bugged me the duration of the England game

thrawn said:
I watched my first soccer game weekend before last because of this thread. I was staying at my parents. I watched it in Spanish, the England and Ecuador game. Watching it in Spanish kept everyone out of my hair but then they reeled me in with the next game. I couldn't figure out what country translates to lower lands or lands beneath. It wasn't til I saw their abbreviation Ned that I recognized it. It bugged me the duration of the England game
Univision coverage >>>>>>>> ESPN coverage

elpmis said:
the announcement is better, that's for sure
So far I've watched all the games on Univision mainly because I can then turn away and focus on something else yet still know what's going on. English commentary sucks :lol: