Feeling less than human isn't all it's cracked up to be

Yes it does, actually.

The "Civil Partnership" title for a couple joined by the local magistrates in the UK is only enforceable in the UK. No where else on the earth is that relationship recognized.

However, a marriage, using the proper term "marriage" is recognized in more than 7 countries and even multiple US states.

The title "marriage" is much more portable worldwide that civil unions, civil partnerships, domestic partnerships, or any other "separate, but equal" title.

But if you were joined together in the UK, then you have the same rights as a married couple in the UK. That's pretty equal if you ask me. So what if you can't go to South Africa and it be recognised?

Tenn just a couple months ago for the firing. There was a case in Ohio about the will thing a couple of years ago. The family was vengeful and hated their son was gay and sought expensive lawyers to fight for the finances bestowed to the "husband" in the will and won.

No I meant the arrested part.

But if you were joined together in the UK, then you have the same rights as a married couple in the UK. That's pretty equal if you ask me. So what if you can't go to South Africa and it be recognised?

That's not entirely true, either.

Even if you have every single right the same as a "married" couple (which isn't true in every locale because of local laws and such) CT and even CA already proved having separate but equal titles for a fundimental law afforded to every citizen is wrong. Not only for society because it devalues that couple because it is different, but the stigma attached to any offspring for having "lesser" parents.

No I meant the arrested part.

Arrests at a peaceful protest at the Chicago city hall over people looking to get married licenses, the protestors were arrested because they performed a sit in as they didn't get issued licenses.

No witch hunts into people's houses to see if they are gay and then arrest them, no.

That's not entirely true, either.

Even if you have every single right the same as a "married" couple (which isn't true in every locale because of local laws and such) CT and even CA already proved having separate but equal titles for a fundimental law afforded to every citizen is wrong. Not only for society because it devalues that couple because it is different, but the stigma attached to any offspring for having "lesser" parents.

I get that I do, but if the question is having rights then I think civil partnerships is a great thing. I think at some point you have to accept that some snotty old guy who helps make the law will not want gay people to have the same rights, or same titles etc. as a traditional couple. It's the way of the world.

Tenn just a couple months ago for the firing. There was a case in Ohio about the will thing a couple of years ago. The family was vengeful and hated their son was gay and sought expensive lawyers to fight for the finances bestowed to the "husband" in the will and won.

Yes, but this happens to heterosexual people too. It's not like this kind of thing is exclusive to GLBT couples.

I get that I do, but if the question is having rights then I think civil partnerships is a great thing. I think at some point you have to accept that some snotty old guy who helps make the law will not want gay people to have the same rights, or same titles etc. as a traditional couple. It's the way of the world.

That is like that for all civil rights situations. It changes when people fight for it.

Oh, the irony. I just read this today

I get pretty upset when people argue against equality, but there is one particular argument that gets me more than most. It goes something like this: since civil unions and marriage are really the same thing with a different name, why can’t LGBT Americans just settle for the former in order to keep from offending those who consider the latter a religious institution?

The incredibly obvious answer is that civil unions and marriage aren’t equal at all. Setting aside the fact that even if civil unions and civil marriage were completely identical institutions the division would still violate our judicial ideal that separate can never be equal, there are very real federal benefits and rights that come along with marriage that same-sex couples can never receive.

In fact, there are over 1,000 benefits that marriage couples receive from the federal government that same-sex couples can’t access, including the ability to save money by filing joint tax returns and receiving access to government pensions and health insurance. (A married lesbian couple in Massachusetts actually filed a lawsuit last week, arguing that they’ve to paid $15,000 more in taxes than a straight couple would have to, since they are forced to file separately each year.)

One additional inequality that comes along with the federal distinction is the difference in inheritance law for married straight couples and same-sex couples who can’t be married under federal law.

This issue has been given a face and a name after The New York Times reported last month that photographer Annie Leibowitz was forced to use her work as collateral in order to secure a loan and resolve her financial difficulties. Queerty and After Ellen have both reported that some of the financial difficulties faced by Leibowitz were likely due to the fact that when her long-time partner Susan Sontag died in 2004, Leibowitz would have had to pay significant taxes on her inheritance– a tax liability that wouldn’t have been incurred if they were a married, opposite-sex couple.

Annie Leibowitz is just one of many to have been hit by these discriminatory regulations, to be sure, but her relatively public case does underscore an important point. Equality is more than a hypothetical ideal, and inequality is not in name only. There are very real consequences to our continued reliance on a system that treats some people different than others, and those differences can be catastrophic.

Why do people need to be married and recognized? Why aren't we okay with just having a solid commitment to another person? Zac and I are completely happy and it is beneficial to not be married when buying a house and picking up first time homebuyers deals twice. Well in relationships were kids aren't involved. I can see how that can get complicated.

Because there are more than 1000 laws in which marital status is a factor. Civil unions are not recognized the same way as a marriage. And this was back in 1997, since then more laws have been added.

14th amendment said:
nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

David Berkowitz explains why gays shouldn't be allowed to marry in song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rixkck8QnjY&feature=related

What's sad and depressing and downright scary is that there are quite a few people that honestly believe that stuff.

The pope pardoned a bishop that blamed homosexuality for the endangerment of the rainforests.

A senator I think in MN just stated that homosexuals are the worst thing to fear in this country right now, worse than murders or a poor economy.

What's sad and depressing and downright scary is that there are quite a few people that honestly believe that stuff.

The pope pardoned a bishop that blamed homosexuality for the endangerment of the rainforests.

A senator I think in MN just stated that homosexuals are the worst thing to fear in this country right now, worse than murders or a poor economy.

Norm Coleman?