Fed Pledges Top $7.4 Trillion to Ease Frozen Credit

First off, you do realize the dramatic drop in oil price is tied directly how well the world economy is doing. We should have never done the "700" billion bailout. We already have a public record of 10 trillion dollars. This almost doubles that. Washington is now saying don't worry about the national debt. This isn't including the ~55 Trillion debt (entitlements) off book.

Let say that the people in charge built and designed a plane. Well that plane has design flaws (in the money case packaging debt as an asset (housing bubble )). Right now they are trying to fix the plane while still in flight. They are throwing mechanics out the door to try to fix the problem.

Right, but there are obviously reasons why its a good idea. I'd sure like to know what the hell they are.

We are already China's slaves monetarily from all the money thew federal government has borrowed from them.

I know that and almost added to my post as an afterthought but you contend that are our liberties/freedoms are going to erode from their current state due to a monetary crisis? How so?

I know that and almost added to my post as an afterthought but you contend that are our liberties/freedoms are going to erode from their current state due to a monetary crisis? How so?

Under the new regime you will be required to spend 1/3rd of your paycheck by shopping at wal-mart no less than 3 times a week.

ALL HEIL HUSSEIN-O

As the economy crumbles, crime will go through the roof. I see the government using drastic measures to combat the crime, and in turn reducing liberties.

All depends on how far it crumbles..

I will admit, I don't really understand what this all means, but it really can't be a good thing. Instead of fixing any problems, I simply see it as delaying them, and possibly causing bigger issues when they can't delay them anymore.

a meteor could blow up the earth tomorrow too

Our government cracking down on the people of the US as our social structure starts to decay is a much more likely event than global cataclism. Granted, this is just my opinion, but it's formed based on the fact I have little faith in people, which equates to less faith in government, to not revert to a more animalistic social model as traditional structures start to break down.

Seriously, can anyone here argue FOR this? I really want to know why they are going this direction. Johnny?
i'm behind on news and don't have time to get into it right now, but from the headline and a gut reaction i'd say that since our economy has been based on deficit spending by households for several generations and since the ability of households to go further into debt has been tapped (no more home equity to borrow against, no more credit cards to max, no more savings to spend) the government has decided to maintain the status quo by doing all the spending on our behalf and taxing us for it later rather than allowing the problem to fix itself through massive failure and the resulting necessary shakeout of unsustainable business practices.

ok, it looks like some to a lot of that total is "pledged money" which includes things like FDIC guarantees that don't actually cost money unless a bank goes under. It's money we are theoretically on the hook for only if the system completely melts down, which is what the gov't is trying to avoid.

i'm behind on news and don't have time to get into it right now, but from the headline and a gut reaction i'd say that since our economy has been based on deficit spending by households for several generations and since the ability of households to go further into debt has been tapped (no more home equity to borrow against, no more credit cards to max, no more savings to spend) the government has decided to maintain the status quo by doing all the spending on our behalf and taxing us for it later rather than allowing the problem to fix itself through massive failure and the resulting necessary shakeout of unsustainable business practices.

But that still doesn't sound like a positive spin. Someone has to be able to spin this positively, rite???

But that still doesn't sound like a positive spin. Someone has to be able to spin this positively, rite???
read my second post. i guess the positive spin would be that the "pledges" of money don't cost anything if they work. For example, increasing FDIC guarantees helps prevent runs against banks if it increases the confidence of savers to keep their money where it is. That pledge of money doesn't actually cost anything unless the bank goes out of business for other reasons.

basically, i think the article is negative spin and treats the 7.4 trillion total like it's money out of our pocket, which it isn't.