Ontopic Fatness Monitors

HifiGirly

Half-staff Member
Nov 16, 2004
Ohio
Marklar
₥0
Tell me about yours...

I had purchased a Jawbone Up24 and after not receiving it because the company I purchased through over sold I am back at the drawing board.

I want a wearable fitness tracker nothing too fancy just something that accurately monitors calories burned, steps taken etc.

• Gravy
Reactions: Petunia
I need one so bad so I'll sit back and see what everyone posts to get an idea of what I may want to get

4VlKD7x.jpg

good plan, I need one too

Everyone I know who has one has just bought into the fitbit thing. It seems to be the most popular at this point. Doesn't make it the best, but it's got the most reach.

I had an Up whatever.
I liked it, but I bought the incorrect size. Fine on my left wrist, but the right wrist was slightly larger so if I wore a watch I'd wear the Up on my right wrist. On the right wrist it would get snagged on things. Eventually it got to the point where I couldn't upload or charge it anymore. I believe that the wires inside the band got damaged slightly by the ends getting snagged.
It lasted roughly 4 months like this.

I will probably get a new one at some point, when I do it will not have a plug on the end for uploading and charging, and it will likely be bluetooth compatible.

My thoughts, do with them as you will.

I've never had one but I've been doing a major semester long marketing project on them. I can confirm Fitbit is the most popular. One thing to consider is if you want it waterproof or not. Also do you want just exercise or do you want it to monitor food as well? (You have to plug urn but it keeps track)

• Gravy
I have a Fitbit One. I clip it onto the inside of my pocket. It gets snagged on things like seat belts, climbing harnesses, etc but I can't find a better place for it. According to the directions, women can clip it to their bras, though that doesn't seem comfortable. :p
I broke one by putting it through the washer with clothes. Fitbit sent me a free replacement unit even though it was completely my fault.
Once every month or so it will randomly shut off during the day. I don't look at it constantly through the day (or look at the app), so I don't get that day's record of steps, floors ascended, etc.
The feature I like the most is the silent alarm. I wear earplugs at night as I am a light sleeper, and wear the Fitbit One in the cloth wristband they give you. It vibrates lightly on my arm and wakes me up without loud annoying alarms.
I charge it once every 7 or 10 days (depending on my activity it seems). It requires a proprietary charge adapter, but it plugs into a USB port. Needs Bluetooth to sync to your phone (won't work with Google Nexus 7 2013 edition as the bluetooth is too old). They include a bluetooth adapter for your computer if you need it.

My friend recently got the new Fitbit Surge. I tried it on, but because I don't have huge wrists, it wasn't comfortable to wear :(

If you want screenshots of the online panel, let me know.

• Gravy
The gf has the bodymedia one, went with it a couple years ago because it had the best sensing system and looked like the most accurate of the bunch... the original fitbit was just an accelerometer, the bodymedia one measured galvanic skin response/temperature/acceleration and lots of other things, and was backed by a pile of clinical research.

Unfortunately the fucking thing phones home to bodymedia's servers, Garmin bought them and now the servers don't exist anymore so the fucking thing is unusable.

I really want one that is worn to monitor your heart rate since I do go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week. I had an older iPod that clipped on and I used the nike app to monitor my walking and such. Unfortunately the iPod was so little I sat it somewhere one day and it poof vanished.

I have a Fitbit One. I clip it onto the inside of my pocket. It gets snagged on things like seat belts, climbing harnesses, etc but I can't find a better place for it. According to the directions, women can clip it to their bras, though that doesn't seem comfortable. :p
I broke one by putting it through the washer with clothes. Fitbit sent me a free replacement unit even though it was completely my fault.
Once every month or so it will randomly shut off during the day. I don't look at it constantly through the day (or look at the app), so I don't get that day's record of steps, floors ascended, etc.
The feature I like the most is the silent alarm. I wear earplugs at night as I am a light sleeper, and wear the Fitbit One in the cloth wristband they give you. It vibrates lightly on my arm and wakes me up without loud annoying alarms.
I charge it once every 7 or 10 days (depending on my activity it seems). It requires a proprietary charge adapter, but it plugs into a USB port. Needs Bluetooth to sync to your phone (won't work with Google Nexus 7 2013 edition as the bluetooth is too old). They include a bluetooth adapter for your computer if you need it.

My friend recently got the new Fitbit Surge. I tried it on, but because I don't have huge wrists, it wasn't comfortable to wear :(

If you want screenshots of the online panel, let me know.

Meh.com has the fitbit flex on sale for $75 until midnight tonight, eastern time
My only concern about the fitbit flex is the material it is made of. My friend had it and it left a red rash on her wrist. Her husband wears it just fine but she switched to jawbone and didn't have that issue. My skin is fairly sensitive, I have reactions to plain old band aids.

My only concern about the fitbit flex is the material it is made of. My friend had it and it left a red rash on her wrist. Her husband wears it just fine but she switched to jawbone and didn't have that issue. My skin is fairly sensitive, I have reactions to plain old band aids.
They sell multiple bands for them, I'm sure they offer one for sensitive skin.

If I recall Fitbit can't get wet at all so take it off to shower. Jawbone doesn't look like a fitness band and can be worn in the shower but only the highest model for swimming (I think, going off memory as I'm sitting in the dr office). Viviosmart is waterproof enough to swim with it on. All connect to phone apps and you can add nutrition. Garmin and Nike fuel band have s little display that will show who's calling or texting but don't have the full screens. You have to get the doe I fix watches for that.

If I recall Fitbit can't get wet at all so take it off to shower. Jawbone doesn't look like a fitness band and can be worn in the shower but only the highest model for swimming (I think, going off memory as I'm sitting in the dr office). Viviosmart is waterproof enough to swim with it on. All connect to phone apps and you can add nutrition. Garmin and Nike fuel band have s little display that will show who's calling or texting but don't have the full screens. You have to get the doe I fix watches for that.
Fitbit Flex can be submerged up to 1 atmosphere (33 feet or so)