Facial, French style!

BigDov

Erect Member
Oct 14, 2004
close to Seattle
Marklar
₥0
Didn't see any mention of it on here, but found it rather interesting, if not a little gruesome, that something like this has finally been pulled off.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4484728.stm

It's just a tad disconderting that I wouldn't look like myself or my donor:

In the controversial operation, tissues, muscles, arteries and veins were taken from a brain-dead donor and attached to the patient's lower face.

Doctors stress the woman will not look like her donor, but nor will she look like she did before the attack - instead she will have a "hybrid" face.

Any thoughts of morality, disgust, anything around this? If you could find a willing donor, would you go through with it, or live life disfigured?

Drool-Boy said:
They already did this in that crappy ( and I DO mean crappy) Travolta/Cage movie.

Yeah they sure did. So I guess what you're getting at is, if I were to do this, there's a chance I'd become a fat, no-talent scientologist, or a weirdo with a really pronounced receding hairline and slight overbite??

BigDov said:
Yeah they sure did. So I guess what you're getting at is, if I were to do this, there's a chance I'd become a fat, no-talent scientologist, or a weirdo with a really pronounced receding hairline and slight overbite??

No, I was just pointing out that the movie was really bad.
I mean REALLY bad. I mean like MST3K bad.
The kind of bad that makes Ed Wood go "Jesus that movie sucks".
THATS what Im sayin'.

Drool-Boy said:
THATS what Im sayin'.

Gotcha. I'll shut the fuck up then :)

Drool-Boy said:
THATS what Im sayin'.

Its bad now in retrospect but I remember people thinking it was good stuff back in 97. That and Conair.

Getting back on topic, a hybrid face is better than a scarred up face or a face with blotches of skin from various parts of your body which is how they do it now. Its not oncommon for people who have had major burns and such now to never go outside again or avoid family because they look so bad afterwards

Ryokurin said:
Getting back on topic, a hybrid face is better than a scarred up face or a face with blotches of skin from various parts of your body which is how they do it now. Its not oncommon for people who have had major burns and such now to never go outside again or avoid family because they look so bad afterwards
I thought about this myself. The biggest problem I'd have with it is that I'd have to have a part of another person attached to me indefinately. Plus then there's the immunosupressants that are necessary to keep your body from rejecting the transplant.

The pills wouldn't be that big of an issue for me but knowing that i've got someone else on my face too would drive me nuts.

CletusJones said:
I thought about this myself. The biggest problem I'd have with it is that I'd have to have a part of another person attached to me indefinately. Plus then there's the immunosupressants that are necessary to keep your body from rejecting the transplant.

The pills wouldn't be that big of an issue for me but knowing that i've got someone else on my face too would drive me nuts.

I think I'd be OK as long as I didn't have to see what the person looked like before I got her face.

I'd have no problems with the face procedure if I was disfigured.

Hell I'm more than willing to have cybernetic parts added to me now if it will make me do the 6 million dollar man sound when running super fast and during sex.

That ethics panel said that they are afraid she won't stick to her drug cocktails for the rest of her life, and that because of that there's a good chance her body will eventually reject the tissue. I'm thinking that would be pretty sweet if that happened in line at the grocery store or something.

edit: like the guy who had the hand transplant that eventually had to be amputated. He stopped taking the drugs that would keep his body from saying "Get this thing the hell off me."

Sarcasmo said:
That ethics panel said that they are afraid she won't stick to her drug cocktails for the rest of her life, and that because of that there's a good chance her body will eventually reject the tissue. I'm thinking that would be pretty sweet if that happened in line at the grocery store or something.

edit: like the guy who had the hand transplant that eventually had to be amputated. He stopped taking the drugs that would keep his body from saying "Get this thing the hell off me."

Would it slowly die and fall off, or would it just suddenly just jump the fuck off her face? Cuz that would be pretty cool.

Drool-Boy said:
Would it slowly die and fall off, or would it just suddenly just jump the fuck off her face? Cuz that would be pretty cool.

I'm hoping you'll hear a faint scream as it suddenly tears free and bolts for the door.