FAA unveils new uniform for international flights

FlamingGloryHole said:
The government makess afety reccos, their insurance requires them to follow them, as well as their terminal leases. It's all perfectly legal and in no way a violation of your rights, you are free NOT to fly. If you fly charter or private you dont even have to go through security.
I agree but you of all people should understand the concept of a slippery slope.

What's to keep these kinds of regulations from being applied to private charter airlines? What about private pilots?

fly said:
flying is a convenience not a right! :D
Once again, agreed. I do, however, believe that if such an innane set of regulations were to be put in place it would be far too much of a hassle for millions of passengers. I'm not saying it's necessarily a violation of rights but I do believe it'd be an abuse of government power.

Also, a right does not have to be enumerated in the Constitution to exist.

FlyNavy said:
I agree but you of all people should understand the concept of a slippery slope.

What's to keep these kinds of regulations from being applied to private charter airlines? What about private pilots?
They could well be, it's hardly a slippery slope though. There are already rules in place for charter/private planes, administered by the same agency as for commercial public flights. Explained in detail below.

Once again, agreed. I do, however, believe that if such an innane set of regulations were to be put in place it would be far too much of a hassle for millions of passengers. I'm not saying it's necessarily a violation of rights but I do believe it'd be an abuse of government power.

Also, a right does not have to be enumerated in the Constitution to exist.
Flight regulations are not statutory, they are administrative laws (Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations), enforced by the DOT through the FAA by statute. The statutory power of the federal congress to make these laws comes from Article I, Section 8, Clause 3 of the Constitution:

"The Congress shall have power. . . To regulate commerce. . . among the several states. . ."

As for unennumerated rights. Just because a right is not enumerated does NOT mean that it even exists:

"The Ninth Amendment obviously does not create federally enforceable rights."

Doe v. Bolton (1973)

Thank you and goodnight.