F.E.A.R

D

distortedmind

has anyone else played this? i'm really enjoying it, probably more than any other game i've played this year

it's not full blown scary yet (lvl 4ish), but i have jumped a few times. :fly: i'm going to play it late tonight and hopefully it will scare the pants off me

it's a weird paranormal type plot but i'm actually enjoying it, the little girl is fucked up :tard:

a few crap screenies (the game looks/feels much better when playing)

i'm going to restart the game now on the hardest setting as i'm getting though it a little too quickly :D

My Brother in Law actually started as the producer of that game, but he isn't anymore, he got moved to another project. He is going to get Knyte a copy, but hasn't yet. I personally will never play it.

fly said:
xbox or PC? What kinda game is it? I hope not some DOOM crap...

pc only i think (well that's what i've got it on)

it's a first person shooter, and although the FEAR is some lame acronym the general idea is it's mean to scare you while you go round shooting the crap into things (cloned soldiers so far). there is a fuxed up little girl you keep seeing, you have weird visions and Bad Things (tm) happen

eg you jump though a vent into a flooded room, and once you hit the deck the water turns to blood :eek: :D

i played doom3 and got bored after a couple of levels, this i have found much more enjoyable.

it's kinda like doom3 weapons in halflife2 with the tension of aliens vs predator :)

There was once this game I played with the neighborhood kids called fear. It was a video boardgame and back then it would scare the carp outta me.

Scary stuff is no fun. :eek:

Fly has figured it out that I dont' like to be scared. He hides in closets or behind counters and waits for me to open the door... I'll go looking for him and he'll FUCKING SCARE ME. :wtc:

April23 said:
Fly has figured it out that I dont' like to be scared. He hides in closets or behind counters and waits for me to open the door... I'll go looking for him and he'll FUCKING SCARE ME. :wtc:
:wtc:? What the cunt?

April23 said:
Scary stuff is no fun. :eek:

nah, i love to be scared. stupid horror movies (a la scream etc) i don't find scary at all, but i guess they are meant to be more comedy

i remember playing alien vs predator as a teenager (15 or so) and dropping a load while playing late at night. the aliens used to come screaming down the walls with no forwarning and hack the shit into you :eek:

i like scary situations in real life too, maybe it's the adrenaline hit.

Drool-Boy said:
I want to play this but the demo made my computer choke.

I asked an uber-geek at Gamestop about the game, and he said the demo was jacked. The retail release cleaned it up immensely and actually worked. My laptop is a beast, and the demo made it puke on itself. This guy said not to worry about it, unless of course your system simply doesn't have the minimum requirements specified on the retail box.

Drool-Boy said:
I want to play this but the demo made my computer choke.

yeah it is a bit of a hog. i've been reading that even the newest baddest systems can't handle max everything, there is a 'soft shadow' option that brings everything to its knees.

my mp2800 + radeon 9800xt can handle mid range settings for most, max textures with 2xAA 16xAF

slightly choppy (~40fps) but i find the game so absorbing i really don't notice

this thread at [h] has loads of screens and specs, gives a good idea of what you need to run it and what it looks like. the screens don't give full justice to hte game, the physics and atmosphere make the game very enjoyable imo

Last edited by a moderator:
Sarcasmo said:
I asked an uber-geek at Gamestop about the game, and he said the demo was jacked. The retail release cleaned it up immensely and actually worked. My laptop is a beast, and the demo made it puke on itself. This guy said not to worry about it, unless of course your system simply doesn't have the minimum requirements specified on the retail box.

My machine, while starting to show its age, plays HalfLife2 and Doom3 pretty well. The Fear demo played at about 3fps.
Maybe Ill take the try before I buy route on this one.

Drool-Boy said:
My machine, while starting to show its age, plays HalfLife2 and Doom3 pretty well. The Fear demo played at about 3fps.

if it can play hl2 then i reckon your sorted

Drool-Boy said:

Same with mine. I turned every setting as low as possible, turned off anti-aliasing and everything else. I put it on 800x600. By the time I was done it looked like some reject from the mid-to-late 1990s. And I still only got about 3 fps.

My comp is a 3.4 ghz, 1 gb RAM, blah blah blah.

this game is so awesome, i don't want to finish it

turn your speakers up LOUD, the music and sound effects are great. they're very atmospheric and really help to build the suspense. you know somthing freaky is about to happen... it still gets to you though

the cloakers are frikkin badass, i was so pumped when i first encounted them i forgot all about slowmo and kept getting my ass kicked. :tard: they way they get right in your face is brilliant

sometimes the excitement gets to be too much for me and i just unload a few clips into the little girl :D