exploding teeth!

I love my dentist! Only one of my wisdom teeth came in. Right after it broke the surface, it started causing problems. My dentist took it out right there in the office. He gave me a shot, then pushed on the tooth in one direction, then the other direction, and BAM out it came. Very minimal bleeding. On the drive home, I called Drool and told him I had my wisdom tooth removed, he was shocked I was able to drive. By the time I got home, I could eat solid foods. The only restriction was no straws for 24 hours.

InfluX said:
i asked the dentist if it was absolutely necessary to do this. he said yes, very. never mind the fact that i've never, ever felt any pain from them. i didn't even know they were there, really.

needless to say i'm seeing a different dentist next week. what i wouldn't give to have one of the bastards tell me 'since there's no pain there's no need to have this done right now' but somehow i know this will not happen.

How long is the sled ride to the dentist in the next village?

got an appointment tomorrow at 11:45 to get the wisdom teeth extracted (leave it to me to find a surgeon who'll do it on a saturday). going to get iv sedation and all four are coming out. i know this is a regular procedure but i am nervous, i hate any sort of needles and in addition, the idea of having incisions made in my sinus cavity really rubs me the wrong way.

*butterflies*

or maybe my teeth will just explode. one can only hope.

Good luck. Wasn't fun when I had mine out, but it went ok. But if at any point you think you might have gotten a dry socket, don't delay on going back in to have it checked. JJ did that (happened while she was out of town) and it caused her alot more pain and healing time.

it will usually hurt more than a socket with a clot in it. Mainly due to the exposed nerves. Without the clot, it won't heal right. Stay away from sucking actions (insert oral sex joke here) such as smoking, drinking through straws, etc. Anything that might cause you to suck the clot out of the socket.

bast_imret said:
it will usually hurt more than a socket with a clot in it. Mainly due to the exposed nerves. Without the clot, it won't heal right. Stay away from sucking actions (insert oral sex joke here) such as smoking, drinking through straws, etc. Anything that might cause you to suck the clot out of the socket.

:eek:

thanks for the heads up.

InfluX said:
got an appointment tomorrow at 11:45 to get the wisdom teeth extracted (leave it to me to find a surgeon who'll do it on a saturday). going to get iv sedation and all four are coming out. i know this is a regular procedure but i am nervous, i hate any sort of needles and in addition, the idea of having incisions made in my sinus cavity really rubs me the wrong way.

*butterflies*

or maybe my teeth will just explode. one can only hope.
I'd tell him to wait on the surgery until you get a second opinion. If he says no, then he's not a good dentist anyway. Don't let him pressure you into something that is risky and you are nervous about.

I didn't have any problems with mine except I had some trouble waking up, but then again I wasn't really nervous about it. I trusted the guy. It seems as though you don't really trust your dentist, so it'd be better to wait and get another opinion and be sure it's what you want.

Dharma1521 said:
Ok, so please believe me that my teeth aren't jacked up b/c I don't take care of them. I floss twice a day, I use listerine twice a day, I used ACT twice a day, and of course I brush twice a day. Plus I gave up smoking which helped.
Maybe you should have more calcium in your diet. Milk and cheese are good for that.

teeth are out. still bleeding though. i look like a cross between an angry bulldog and a lopsided chipmunk. its funny how painkillers really dont hit you the same way when you actually NEED them. am not smoking but wishing i was. and all the foods that i never really ever eat i'm craving now. stupid quiznos roast beef commercials.

well that whole iv sedation thing is a magical thing indeed. i seem to vaguely recall feeling them scrape around a wee bit and for some reason i recall tears streaming down my face but i dont think it was because of pain. odd.

the procedure itself was what i was dreading the most and all worries about that went out the window literally two seconds after they got that iv hooked up. holy hell.

InfluX said:
teeth are out. still bleeding though. i look like a cross between an angry bulldog and a lopsided chipmunk. its funny how painkillers really dont hit you the same way when you actually NEED them. am not smoking but wishing i was. and all the foods that i never really ever eat i'm craving now. stupid quiznos roast beef commercials.
PICS!

InfluX said:
you know the odds of this actually happening are slim to none. the last thing i need right now is any more snide comments about walking into doors.
Did I say that? If I did, I bet it had something to do with eyeliner. Anyway, wouldnt you rather be made fun of than fawned over?

inline4 said:
i have 1 wisdom tooth, the others just arent' there. But like you getting it taken out poses a risk to my sinus cavity.. :(

i'll keep it for now, its not causing any problems at all

Both of the top ones pose a threat to your sinus cavity. It's not as bad as you think. If they yank it and it does expose the sinus, they just reach up in there, sew it closed and give you tons of antibiotics, decongestants, and pain killers. You'll be OK in 2 weeks.

InfluX said:
worries about that went out the window literally two seconds after they got that iv hooked up. holy hell.

My IV was hooked up for 10 minutes while we waited for the doctor. Then he came in and pushed the syringe of sleepy stuff into me.

After 60 seconds after that people started to walk into the operating room through both of the doors. Hundreds of people all chattering and carrying on a conversation. I guess they were showing up to watch the procedure! :p

I actually remember my last words ... "Hey Doc, are there always this many people in the room when you remove someones wisdom teeth?" Yeah, after that there was no more.