Ever wondered what the largest science experiment in history looks like?

theacoustician

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
Marklar
₥0
First video of the Large Hadron Collider at CERN.

http://www.seedmagazine.com/media/video/lordsmedv3.mov

Freaking amazing what people can do when they put their mind to it. Also highly shameful that its not being built at Fermilab. Cancelling BTeV in future generations will probably seem as crazy and/or stupid a move as can be imagined. The sheer amount of potential wasted boggles the mind.

For those of you who can't be brought to care, I give you the bio of the host of the film for your amusement.

Alom Shaha was awarded a National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Arts fellowship in 2005 to develop his skills as a filmmaker communicating the cultural, social and political impact of science. He has a strong track record of making difficult concepts easy understandable for mass audiences. Shaha has worked as a creative consultant on projects ranging from community arts events to children's TV programs; he has also been a physics teacher, television producer, science writer and goat herder.

1. Is the popular Higgs mechanism for generating elementary particle masses in the Standard Model, violated? If not, how many Higgs bosons are there, and what are their masses?

2. Will the more precise measurements of the masses of baryons continue to be mutually consistent within the Standard Model?

3. Do particles have supersymmetric ("SUSY") partners?

4. Why are there violations of the symmetry between matter and antimatter?

5. Are there extra dimensions, as predicted by various models inspired by string theory, and can we "see" them?

6. What is the nature of the 96% of the universe's mass which is unaccounted for by current astronomical observations?

7. Why is gravity so many orders of magnitude weaker than the other three fundamental forces?

*head explodes*

shawndavid said:
the biggest high field superconductive magent in the world - time to erase your neighbors' cassette tapes

pfft. call me when they figure out how to open a wormhole from wherever i sit to my fridge.

HydroSqueegee said:
what?

explain
Simply :
Its the largest supercollider in the world. It is 27km in circumference and lies half in France, half in Switerland. The purpose is basically to recreate the Big Bang. We were going to build something like it at Fermilab, but it magically got cut from the budget.

theacoustician said:
Simply :
Its the largest supercollider in the world. It is 27km in circumference and lies half in France, half in Switerland. The purpose is basically to recreate the Big Bang. We were going to build something like it at Fermilab, but it magically got cut from the budget.

We were going to get one south of Dallas, too. The U.S. House of Representatives decided in 1993 to halt the project after 14 miles of tunneling were completed and two billion dollars spent. Glorious waste of taxpayer money, but what the hell do they care?

theacoustician said:
Simply :

that's pretty cool...if they succeed in recreating the big bang, wouldn't that be catastrophically bad? :p

But if it's at CERN, I hope the Vatican doesn't try to steal the technology cause then Robert Langdon would have to get involved and all sorts of shit would go down.

theacoustician said:
Simply :
Are they still considering Fermi for the International Linear Collider???

bast_imret said:
But if it's at CERN, I hope the Vatican doesn't try to steal the technology cause then Robert Langdon would have to get involved and all sorts of shit would go down.
:lol: @ the A & D reference

bast_imret said:

illuminati.gif

Sarcasmo said:
Am I the only one alive who hasn't touched a Dan Brown novel?
i'd say your missing out on angels and demons, but as far as davinchi code goes ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh