Ever have one of those "I told you so" moments?

theacoustician said:
Actually, if you own a US made vehicle and it says FFV on it, you're already equipped to use E85. There are even plans out there to make your own ethanol distillery in your backyard using lawn clippings and veggie scraps. Wouldn't completely cover your fuel costs, but every 1 in 10 fillups could be covered by your home system.
IIRC Ford has more FFV vehicles on the road than anyone else, at least I see more Ford's with FFV than anything else

KNYTE said:
I have (virtually) no formal schooling past high school, I'm 26, and make more than he does. So I guess life has given me a reason to say "Ha, I told you so.", perhaps I'll have the chance to tell him in person some day.
I had a substitute teacher tell me once (Cuz I was goofing off) that I would grow up to be a garbage man.

I told him "Great! They make a heck of a lot more than you!"

bast_imret said:
We did our senior design project around building a plant that would convert market pulp to ethanol. Basically extract the sugars, ferment, and concentrate in distillation columns to 98% purity. There was not a single group that could turn a profit on a 20 year analysis, we were about 20MM in the hole. Professors came back and said they weren't suprised. Even back when they did it in the early 90's (a govt study I think) they were barely able to turn a profit, and that was with included tax breaks and what not. It was more to see how we set up the unit operations and how our financial analysis looked.

The best was the group that came in and said that their total operating capital was about the same $$ as the one filter press I had designed. The professors ripped them apart. "Did you check your numbers? Cause I know for a fact that there is no WAY you can even buy a fermentation setup for this much $$." There were some assholes in that group too, so it was nice to see them get burnt.
Were you fermenting only the simple sugars or were you converting the cellulose into sugar first?

My I told you so moment was about 4 years ago I was doing a project for a business management course where we were supposed to pick a business in town and pick apart their business plan, finances, operations, etc. Then we were supposed to make recommendations to them about how to do something better in all areas of their business. I chose to analyze the IT portion of the company we were interviewing.

These guys were running their entire accounting system (and inventory management) in a custom application that they paid to have developed back in 1989. This program was running on an old 386 IBM Compatible with DOS 5.0 as the OS. The data was stored in some unknown format that could only be recognized by this custom program. No hard drive backup strategy was in place.

My recommendation was: get this data backed up and converted to a more modern system or you are going to be SOL when this machine dies. The guy had the balls to tell me that his computer would never die, it's been running fine for 13 years and there was no indication of failure. My response was, no electronic device will run forever and the parts in this machine are so old you will have an impossible time trying to repair it.

Fast forward 10 - 12 months, I receive an email from this guy stating that he had a power surge get through his surge protector (also from 1989) and his computer would not boot. I give him credit because he did apologize for being so "know-it-all" in our earlier meeting. He asked if I would go take a look at his PC to see if I could get it running long enough to get his data off and into another system. I pleasantly declined because I had just moved out of state and there was no way I was getting into that mess. I told you so
:tard:

theacoustician said:
Were you fermenting only the simple sugars or were you converting the cellulose into sugar first?

converting. That was one of the harder parts of the project, cause the professors only gave us select portions of the reaction equation and we had to figure the rest out for ourselves.

bast_imret said:
converting. That was one of the harder parts of the project, cause the professors only gave us select portions of the reaction equation and we had to figure the rest out for ourselves.
I dunno what enzimes you were using in your equation, but when we did our study (2000 ish), we figured that ethanol would cost about $2/gal with the info we had at that time. According to the article, they've gotten it down to 0.20/gallon. That's faster than I remember predicting.

Unfortunately I just had an 'I told you so' moment with myself after leaving the potties.

Even more unfortunately it was referencing the decision between black and white undies this morning... I knew I should have gone with the black.

i had one today, hopefully it will be my last in lab.

when i make gels to run proteins through for my western blots, i use a pretty toxic solution made up of nasty toxic shit. normally you can buy this already in solution, but for some lameass reason my boss buys the neurotoxin component in powder form (read: easy to inhale, even when wearing a filter mask). something about longer shelf life (which is total crap, i called the company and it's about the same as the solution stuff). i told her one of these days the penny pinching mentality on safety would come around to get her/the lab.

so it happened this morning. i weighed out some acrylamide. i couldn't feel my legs about 5 minutes after i finished the solution. i got dizzy, short of breath, and my heart was palpatating and racing. i barely made it to the staff emergency services office before totally collapsing. an hour of oxygen later, it was a big honkin' I FUCKING TOLD YOU SO to my boss.
needless to say, i have the pre-made solution stuff. now to get her to switch to pre-made gels...

F33nX said:
i had one today, hopefully it will be my last in lab.

when i make gels to run proteins through for my western blots, i use a pretty toxic solution made up of nasty toxic shit. normally you can buy this already in solution, but for some lameass reason my boss buys the neurotoxin component in powder form (read: easy to inhale, even when wearing a filter mask). something about longer shelf life (which is total crap, i called the company and it's about the same as the solution stuff). i told her one of these days the penny pinching mentality on safety would come around to get her/the lab.

so it happened this morning. i weighed out some acrylamide. i couldn't feel my legs about 5 minutes after i finished the solution. i got dizzy, short of breath, and my heart was palpatating and racing. i barely made it to the staff emergency services office before totally collapsing. an hour of oxygen later, it was a big honkin' I FUCKING TOLD YOU SO to my boss.
needless to say, i have the pre-made solution stuff. now to get her to switch to pre-made gels...

OMG SUE

BAZILLIONS

we'll see what happens with this incident. unfortunately now it just sets me closer to the path that my cousin ended up on, when he found out he had adult onset leukemia from all the benzene and toluene he worked with for decades and died 3 weeks later.

F33nX said:
we'll see what happens with this incident. unfortunately now it just sets me closer to the path that my cousin ended up on, when he found out he had adult onset leukemia from all the benzene and toluene he worked with for decades and died 3 weeks later.

Um...you should quit if that's even a remote possibility.