Ever been conned?

Dory Berkowitz-Bukowski

Clam whisperer
Oct 15, 2004
Robin Hood Country
Marklar
₥14,417
I got hustled once, and I wouldda pretty pissed off it wasn't so funny/slick a hustle.

Basically me and an old housemate were walking home from town one day across a big playing field and this guy walks past and is like "Hey do you like Brandy?" and we're like meh not really (cos brandy is pretty gross) and he's like, "Oh, well what about rum?" and he pulls out 2 1litre bottles from his bag, one is Martells Brandy and another is a dark rum. So we're like hmmm okay. Then he says he has a little bottle of vodka and some duty-free tobacco too. And he says he only wants £20 for it all. So we're like okay brill.

After we hand over the money he asks where the train station is because he has to catch a train in 30 minutes and I say "Well you better run then because it takes just over 30 minutes to get there from here" so on my advice he runs off very fast.

After this my housemate is like "Wooo party" and he opens the bottle of rum and tries it. His face drops and he's like "Uhh.....Carys......Carys..." and looks all sad ".........it's water" so i was like :wtf: so I tried some and funnily enough it tasted just like water. Same for the brandy. We get out the 'vodka' and are hoping that it is actually real but that of course is water.

Then we look down at the tobacco pouch we've brought and are laughing out asses off thinking 'Jesus Christ if the tobacco is real wtf' so we open it, and basically we had paid this guy £20 for a £5 pouch of tobacco. Guess it goes to show that you shouldn't be so greedy. Pretty good con. He'd put tea-stained water in the bottles and sealed the tops back up with glue and the original foil.

When we get home with our bottles all our other housemates are excited to see what we have and one of them drops the rum all over the floor and it smashes. We pretended it was real rum so he had to get us another, but we gave up on that lie pretty quickly so we could share how funny this hustle was.

Also we kept the bottles and my ex-boyfriends dad came round one evening. He really loves Martells Brandy and carries a hipflask with him everywhere. He'd just run out and saw the bottle and asked if he could have some. Everybody in the room knew it was water but I said "Yeah sure, have a whole hipflask full" and we were all laughing in a drunken way. Well....his eyes lit up and he filled it up and took a big swig and then his eyes grew very sad and he said in a meak voice 'it's just water'. That made me feel rather guilty.

/post

I was conned once when I was a freshman in college in Daytona for spring break. Almost got my ass whupped by about 15 trailer trash jackasses when I confronted them on it. Learned my lesson then.

The lesson. Never buy party supplies from unverified sources.

I purchased a used cell phone awhile back. Turns out the person selling it was telling her cell company that it was lost/stolen. I tried to activate it, was denied, but the insurance claim fortunately hadn't gone through. Cell company was nice to deal with. I got my money back from the seller same day, when I threatened to file a police report for stolen merchandise.

I was conned once when I was a freshman in college in Daytona for spring break. Almost got my ass whupped by about 15 trailer trash jackasses when I confronted them on it. Learned my lesson then.

The lesson. Never buy party supplies from unverified sources.

Word.

My brother organised a European hockey tournament once and some of the Czech players stayed with us. One of the guys wanted me to get him some pot, he said he'd got some from somebody and he showed it me and it was literally grass cutting from his garden. Poor guy. I felt so sorry for him I gave him some of my own.

i don't think i could ever trust consumable products purchased in that fashion.

It's a spare of the moment type thing. We were actually having a huge house party the night after so we thought it would be nice for us to share the booze with friends. Had we not been having that party we might have passed. It looked exactly the right colours and everything, which is why it was pretty neat.

when I was about 16 me and a few buddies scammed our way out of boarding school for a weekend in boston and stayed at the 4 seasons where my roommates dad owned a bunch of condos...we were walking somewhere at night by the common and we got taken for $50 each by a dude that was going to get us fake IDs made :lol:

we actually saw him drive by us in a car while we were waiting for him to come back and he got stuck at a light so we ran up and kicked the shit out of his car and ripped his antenna and side view mirror off :lol:

when I was about 16 me and a few buddies scammed our way out of boarding school for a weekend in boston and stayed at the 4 seasons where my roommates dad owned a bunch of condos...we were walking somewhere at night by the common and we got taken for $50 each by a dude that was going to get us fake IDs made :lol:

we actually saw him drive by us in a car while we were waiting for him to come back and he got stuck at a light so we ran up and kicked the shit out of his car and ripped his antenna and side view mirror off :lol:

wow... now that's a story I think we can all relate to.

Did they try to take your silver spoon?

slime.

i hear that! if i'd skipped university i'd probably be CEO of a fortune 500 company by now.

director of the television studio that makes "how it's made" and only talk about sailing jigs and bobs instead of typewriters and bubblegum

im glad you went to univ......