Baby ETFC is alive. Steve Jobs, not so much.

Why not be an organ donor? I am, not that I think they'll be super useful, but hey, who knows? And they can always use my skin and other tissues and bones and stuff. They are coming up with more uses for so many body parts. 7 people are alive today or living better because of my dad. I think that's something to be proud of.

No-one would want mine.

Just because your organs aren't perfect doesn't mean they won't want them. And it's not just your lungs or your liver that people want. They can use your heart, kidneys, pancreas, lungs, liver and intestines. Tissue that can be donated include eye, skin, bone, heart valves and tendons. People think they've smoked or drank too much or they've been sick or whatever and that makes their organs and tissues not viable, but it isn't the case. My dad smoked for 45 years and drank nearly daily for that long too (not a huge amount, but he always had a cocktail or two after work). They still managed to make use of most of his organs and a lot of his tissue and bone too. My mom was so eaten by cancer and she died at home, so she wasn't a candidate for organ donation, but her entire body was used for medical research and then cremated and the remains were returned to us about a year later. There are lots of options to consider.

So you're saying he bought his way to the top of the transplant list? I don't (didn't?) know much about his illness other than him briefly discussing getting a liver transplant from a 20 something.

Not exactly. He got a liver transplant in Tennessee even though he lived in Cali. Organ recipient waiting lists are regional and in order to go outside your region you need to prove that you can meet a few requirements including being able to pay out of pocket for the treatment, have access to follow-up care, be able to travel to the location on literally a moment's notice, and of course showing medical need. Some people question his medical need for the transplant since it's not a typical treatment for his kind of cancer. All it did was remove metastasis, but the primary cancer remained. Plus the immuno-suppressive drugs he had to take to prevent chronic rejection following the transplant probably left him more vulnerable to infection and could have even helped his cancer to spread. Most of the time a liver transplant for pancreatic cancer isn't even discussed by doctors.

Horrible joke time courtesy of reddit:

When you die, you see your life going by in a flash...

Steve jobs didn't. Apple doesn't support Flash.

Just because your organs aren't perfect doesn't mean they won't want them. And it's not just your lungs or your liver that people want. They can use your heart, kidneys, pancreas, lungs, liver and intestines. Tissue that can be donated include eye, skin, bone, heart valves and tendons. People think they've smoked or drank too much or they've been sick or whatever and that makes their organs and tissues not viable, but it isn't the case. My dad smoked for 45 years and drank nearly daily for that long too (not a huge amount, but he always had a cocktail or two after work). They still managed to make use of most of his organs and a lot of his tissue and bone too. My mom was so eaten by cancer and she died at home, so she wasn't a candidate for organ donation, but her entire body was used for medical research and then cremated and the remains were returned to us about a year later. There are lots of options to consider.

Not to sound callus but do they deliver ashes in person or just regular mail them to you? It would suck to get excited thinking you got a treat in the mail and then to realize it was ashes.

Not to sound callus but do they deliver ashes in person or just regular mail them to you? It would suck to get excited thinking you got a treat in the mail and then to realize it was ashes.

No, they deliver them to you in person and you have to sign for them or in some instances you can pick them up from the funeral home. It's still a creepy thing. You get a box and a certificate of cremation as well as the toe tag from the body and a chain of custody.

No, they deliver them to you in person and you have to sign for them or in some instances you can pick them up from the funeral home. It's still a creepy thing. You get a box and a certificate of cremation as well as the toe tag from the body and a chain of custody.

Considering that scandal with the funeral home outside of Atlanta a few years ago I'm not surprised.