Epiphany 2006

That area walks the fine line between good and bad. It's a historic district that is really charming during the day, but it abuts an area of, shall we say, economic strife...

It will probably not be that way for long given the high cost of land around here. Those holding property on the other side of the tracks - literally - might soon be getting offers they can't refuse from developers.

So here's what I saw today:

View from my living room window
Epiphany001.jpg

Bayou before the ceremony
Epiphany003.jpg

Traditional Greek dancers
Epiphany005.jpg

Some Greek boys
Epiphany009.jpg

Some sacred thing depicting the Baptism of Christ
Epiphany015.jpg

This is the head of the Greek church - the guy they flew in from Constantinople
Epiphany020.jpg

Greek boys in boats are about to dive for the cross
Epiphany023.jpg

A 16 year old boy from Clearwater got the cross. His name was Jack and I met him in the cathedral, but my camera has no flash so I couldn't take a picture. I saw him walking down to the Glendi later and tried to take a pic, but a little old greek lady started bowing to him and kissing his cross so the pic turned out to be only of her ass.

Bubbles said:
:iono: It's a Greek Orthodox Holiday as far as I know.

It's not just a Greek Orthodox Holiday, I believe all Catholics and some other Christians celebrate it. We've all heard the songs at least. It's the 12th day of Christmas. The Epiphany is when the three wise men arrived and gave the gifts to the baby Jesus and then apparently they had a feast or something. Hence, the Feast of the Epiphany. Traditionally I believe it is when the Christmas gift giving and meal is supposed to occur, but I think our cultures wiped that idea out long ago.

eileenbunny said:
It's not just a Greek Orthodox Holiday, I believe all Catholics and some other Christians celebrate it. We've all heard the songs at least. It's the 12th day of Christmas. The Epiphany is when the three wise men arrived and gave the gifts to the baby Jesus and then apparently they had a feast or something. Hence, the Feast of the Epiphany. Traditionally I believe it is when the Christmas gift giving and meal is supposed to occur, but I think our cultures wiped that idea out long ago.

it didn't jibe with the holiday sales at macy's

eileenbunny said:

All main stream Christians (Greek Orthodox, Catholics and Protestant) celebrate it. It is also known as the Twelve Days of Christmas.

Bubbles said:
A 16 year old boy from Clearwater got the cross. His name was Jack and I met him in the cathedral, but my camera has no flash so I couldn't take a picture. I saw him walking down to the Glendi later and tried to take a pic, but a little old greek lady started bowing to him and kissing his cross so the pic turned out to be only of her ass.
And he's surely to be arrested for crack possession soon...

One of my best guy friends from high school comes from a very close knit loving puerto rican family. He has a little sister named Maria whom I have watched grow up into an extremely beautiful young lady. She is 19 right now and I was spending a bit of time talking with her at the epiphany yesterday.

and Maria were engaged to be married this past new years day and her family couldn't be happier for her.

Last edited by a moderator: