Epic scooter trip to Ohio!

For a multi thousand mile road trip? more power to you and your wickedly strong wrists for supporting your weight that long and crazy strong back for being hunched over awkwardly for hours a day and your massively padded ass for sitting on a thumb tack all day long every day.

They make touring bikes in addition to crotch rocket-ish bikes, ya know...

For a multi thousand mile road trip? more power to you and your wickedly strong wrists for supporting your weight that long and crazy strong back for being hunched over awkwardly for hours a day and your massively padded ass for sitting on a thumb tack all day long every day.

its like you're actively trying to exemplify a stereotype

They make touring bikes in addition to crotch rocket-ish bikes, ya know...

With the same issues I have described. Granted I am not the 6'1" 175lb model they cater and design those bikes for, but the riding stance is still hunched over and the seat is still terribly hard and thin and uncomfortable.

A real American would ride one of these

Vespa-II.jpg

“The Vespa 150 TAP is a Vespa scooter modified for use with paratroops. Introduced in 1956 and updated in 1959, it had a U.S.-made light anti-armour cannon. Roughly 800 of these scooters were deployed in the Algerian War.”

With the same issues I have described. Granted I am not the 6'1" 175lb model they cater and design those bikes for, but the riding stance is still hunched over and the seat is still terribly hard and thin and uncomfortable.
Like fly says, the hyperstrada is pretty upright. For about $3k less you can get the BMW F800; a smaller touring bike with the same upright position. Aprilia even makes a touring bike.

Of course all of this is irrelevant if you want to own a scooter instead of a motorcycle.

Edit: also you're about the size that most sport bike manufacturers cater too.

Edit2: the hyperstrada is a dual sport, there are tons of those out there as well. I've been thinking about getting one (a dual sport) to commute on.

Last edited:
I've sat on a couple of Ducatis, and, regardless of the riding position, they all have one fatal flaw: the seats put a significant portion of my weight on my penis. No one wants to sit on their penis.

http://www.ducatiusa.com/

Look at the pic for the Hyperstrada on the main page. The people on that bike are upright.

Like fly says, the hyperstrada is pretty upright. For about $3k less you can get the BMW F800; a smaller touring bike with the same upright position. Aprilia even makes a touring bike.

Of course all of this is irrelevant if you want to own a scooter instead of a motorcycle.

Edit: also you're about the size that most sport bike manufacturers cater too.

Edit2: the hyperstrada is a dual sport, there are tons of those out there as well. I've been thinking about getting one (a dual sport) to commute on.

I have sat on a Hyperstrada. It is not upright, nor can I double-toe stand on it. The bike is meant for someone over 6ft tall (like all of their bikes) and their foot controls are underneath you, not out front.

I have tried a BMW, too, and with teh optional shorty seat, it works. I will be getting a Kawasaki Versys, though, when the car's paid off. That will be my go to bike for any trips as it's completely an all arounder. Also considerably less than the bimmer (even the thumper 650).

I am definitely NOT the size motorcycle manufacturers cater to. I can only fit on the Kawa with the optional lower seat, barely. Still toeing it to keep it upright at standstill (just like my scooter). I have a 30" inseam, and depending how wide the seat and/or fuel tank is, that's not enough. I have a short reach, too, so I need to get handlebar risers to push the handlebars backward toward me. No, manufacturers of almost ALL bikes do NOT cater to someone that's of 5'8" height. The only style of bike I can sit on comfortably is a cruiser bike, and even then if they have forward controls I can't reach them and if the handlebars don't sweep back enough, I can't reach them when sitting upright. Nor do I want/need that style of bike anyway.

I have sat on a Hyperstrada. It is not upright, nor can I double-toe stand on it. The bike is meant for someone over 6ft tall (like all of their bikes) and their foot controls are underneath you, not out front.

I have tried a BMW, too, and with teh optional shorty seat, it works. I will be getting a Kawasaki Versys, though, when the car's paid off. That will be my go to bike for any trips as it's completely an all arounder. Also considerably less than the bimmer (even the thumper 650).

I am definitely NOT the size motorcycle manufacturers cater to. I can only fit on the Kawa with the optional lower seat, barely. Still toeing it to keep it upright at standstill (just like my scooter). I have a 30" inseam, and depending how wide the seat and/or fuel tank is, that's not enough. I have a short reach, too, so I need to get handlebar risers to push the handlebars backward toward me. No, manufacturers of almost ALL bikes do NOT cater to someone that's of 5'8" height. The only style of bike I can sit on comfortably is a cruiser bike, and even then if they have forward controls I can't reach them and if the handlebars don't sweep back enough, I can't reach them when sitting upright. Nor do I want/need that style of bike anyway.

You're so tiny and cute.

Then you're riding the wrong bikes. I have a friend who's 5'8" and he fits like a glove on his gixxer.

Edit: bikes have adjustable suspensions.... Lower it a touch if you need to.

Then you're riding the wrong bikes. I have a friend who's 5'8" and he fits like a glove on his gixxer.

Edit: bikes have adjustable suspensions.... Lower it a touch if you need to.

I sat on a gixxer. Again forward stance, weight on wrists, bent over. I get enough time bent over on something throbbing that I don't want to ride a bike, too. And my wrists aren't nearly strong enough to support my weight.

I REALLY wanted the Wee-strom, but again the seat height, even with a shorter seat, was almost 2" too tall (it was too wide as well) for me to sit on and the rake of the handlebars was too short (didn't come back far enough to meet my hands).

I completely agree, however, that you have to be able to fit the bike. For me, the bike that I fit on the most comfortably is the Versys and after a bit of tweaking the NC700x. I am very curious to check out the CB500X because it's an inch shorter and the wheelbase is shorter, making the handlebar reach a bit shorter, too. Not coming out until August, however.