Thread English Health > US Health

Quote Originally Posted by Amstel View Post
a better questions is how can we "make" people choose policies with more affordable premiums instead of whining that they want the biggies size meal with the dollar menu price.
You mean make people buy the policies that force them to pay $10,000 per person out of pocket? They might as well not have insurance at that point.

geez you're dramatic. I guess you think an insurance policy paying for $90,000 of a $100k bill isn't worthwhile. Is it actually difficult for you to see where your logic is flawed?

:waw: that's my point, sugarplum. you guys save money by not spending a pence on dental hygiene across the entire country

there's actually quite a large spend on dental services - she's just an idiot who think it's an entirely free enterprise ala estate agents.

If your BUPA healthcare comes from some kind of agreement you've personally signed with that company then no I wouldn't understand that as free. Your BUPA healthcare is a choice, my tax is not. My tax goes to my healthcare, not the rest of my wage.

that's still paying, just not "directly" as you stated.

the NHS funds almost all setup and equipment costs of Dentistry. Dentists must be registered with the FGDP to practice Dentistry. Must be registered with the NHS to practice dentistry and either opt-in or opt-out of NHS work.

No idea, all the consultants I work with certainly have enough training to exceed your '12 years of experience' line though.

12 years of experience is required to qualify as an anaesthetist - that was my point. Dentists do not have that experience, and thus are unable to administer sedatives by law.

Noone is ever independent. The best we can hope for is government enforced independence.

Perhaps this is different in the US. Here, our drug approval board NICE seems to do an incredibly good job. Seems to.

Despite what others on this board say, I think the same of our FDA. The amount of drugs and testing and reviews they do pales the rest of the world's efforts with drug verification and publication. The sheer amount of data they sort through and test and look at is astonishing. It is a very minute amount of drugs that get recalled (which is again an effort from the FDA) compared to the volume of new drugs released to the market.

You mean make people buy the policies that force them to pay $10,000 per person out of pocket? They might as well not have insurance at that point.

True, not much point in insurance then.

Most insurance is a one size fits all it seems, at least the options I've been shown, just with varying out of pocket fees. Yes I could pay a couple of thousand extra a year to have only co-pays, and then my cat scans wouldn't cost me a few hundred bucks, but at the moment it's less.

If insurance companies were smart, they'd have policies that worked more like the dental insurance I have.

Mandating preventative visits as part of the policy to reduce overall costs, maybe not cover certain things.

We need a Southwest airlines of the insurance world.

Put it this way Chikken - without free healthcare I wouldn't be employed right now. I'd be claiming 'welfare' and sucking up even more tax. How does that make anything less expensive?

why should you deserve to claim whatever public assistance programs are available and suck up tax in the first place if you're unemployed? why exactly would you be unemployed without free healthcare?

why should you deserve to claim whatever public assistance programs are available and suck up tax in the first place if you're unemployed? why exactly would you be unemployed without free healthcare?

Uhhhm I'd think the answer to the last one wasn't rocket science to figure out. Without getting healthcare assistance I would be unable to continue my current employment. o_0

Uhhhm I'd think the answer to the last one wasn't rocket science to figure out. Without getting healthcare assistance I would be unable to continue my current employment. o_0

Probably not. People still require Healthcare. Top down or not.

Chances are you'd also be better paid AND THEN YOU CAN BUY A HOUSE AND HAVE A KID AND HAVE A BMW IN THE DRIVEWAY WHICH IS WHAT EVERY MISERABLE FUCKER THINKS THEY'LL HAVE IF THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY TAX.

1. I don't know what you do for a living.

2. I don't know what health problems you have.

so how exactly would I be able to figure it out? I'm not reading every post in this thread to find out if you already mentioned it.

geez you're dramatic. I guess you think an insurance policy paying for $90,000 of a $100k bill isn't worthwhile. Is it actually difficult for you to see where your logic is flawed?

Have you been shopping for insurance lately? That is exactly what's out there. To be under $150/month, insurance is 10,000 per person out of pocket. And no that doesn't mean you specifically have an out of pocket cost. It means that if you're married and have a kid, you have to pay 30,000 out of pocket before they even begin to cover you. And even then you still have to foot 30% of what's leftover after that.

And the whole point of insurance is so you don't go bankrupt fixing that. Tacking on an immediate $10,000 to your bills will bankrupt most.

My logic is only flawed because that's exactly what exists. This is why insurance companies have so many customers. So when they do have said $90,000 bill to pay, they have the ability to cover it. Not every single one of their customers get a huge bill per year.