Halp Engineered hardwood flooring is a bag of crap

Valve1138

I like the AB in the GB
Oct 19, 2004
South Harmon Institute of Technology
Marklar
₥69,119
Trying to take this shit up. It's of course glued down, everywhere.

Ive had it with this shit. What do you DIY types think about just ripping up the lauan plywood they laid down underneath it? Should be easier as it's not glued down edge to edge, probably just construction adhesive around the edges. They just used a fuck ton of fine thread drywall screws placed n no particular pattern.

Then a new layer of 1/4 ply on top of the subfloor before the new laminate goes in.

Trying to take this shit up. It's of course glued down, everywhere.

Ive had it with this shit. What do you DIY types think about just ripping up the lauan plywood they laid down underneath it? Should be easier as it's not glued down edge to edge, probably just construction adhesive around the edges. They just used a fuck ton of fine thread drywall screws placed n no particular pattern.

Then a new layer of 1/4 ply on top of the subfloor before the new laminate goes in.

Well you could just sand it off. Might take a year or two with very, very coarse paper but it would make a really neat job of it.

just take the whole damn thing up. lot's of homeowners did this thinking "we'll be out of here in 10 yrs and whoever's next can deal with it." also, there's the "this is better, easier in the long run" etc theory.

I also can't stand the homeowners that put hardwood/fake hardwood down from existing baseboard to existing baseboard then throw down a 1/4 round over the edges. Looks so shoddy.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
And how are you going to get the glue off the plywood?

No fucking clue. The "solvent" the Homedepot dummy told us to get does nothing. And theres too many screws popping up out of the floor to use a drum sander and just get it done. And adhesives like this are murder on sandpaper.

Why was it glued to plywood?

Because "engineered hardwood" is code for thinly laminated balsa wood with a layer of hardwood paper on top. They glue it down because it's cheap shit. Then when you try to pull it up it delaminates leaving half of itself behind.

just take the whole damn thing up. lot's of homeowners did this thinking "we'll be out of here in 10 yrs and whoever's next can deal with it." also, there's the "this is better, easier in the long run" etc theory.

I also can't stand the homeowners that put hardwood/fake hardwood down from existing baseboard to existing baseboard then throw down a 1/4 round over the edges. Looks so shoddy.

I just tried to pull the 1/4" lauan up and the floor with it. Too many screws to not have to do it with a hand chisel very slowly. I can't get the big floor scraper to do a damn thing with all the screws.