Halp Engineered hardwood flooring is a bag of crap

I do plenty of real estate appraisal for litigation support and I have seen things thousands of times worse.

You don't have to pay for the land again.
Depends on the appraisal price, but a house like that would easily cost $150-200k to build from the foundation up. It'd be cheaper if he kept the studs, but even portions of the foundation had issues.

We were looking at a house where the appraisal came in low at $450k but the cost approach (cost to build new with like materials) came in at $525k. So it just depends.

Depends on the size and location (cost of living for lumber prices)
Not even then. Cost per square foot to build a house is $50-200+ depending on what you're building with and cost of labor. $50/sq ft is on the absurdly cheap end of the spectrum and even then that 2,170 sq ft house would have cost $108,500. But considering the expected quality of the house, i.e. recently updated you're looking at closer to $170-185k+

Trust me, we did the numbers recently.

Not even then. Cost per square foot to build a house is $50-200+ depending on what you're building with and cost of labor. $50/sq ft is on the absurdly cheap end of the spectrum and even then that 2,170 sq ft house would have cost $108,500. But considering the expected quality of the house, i.e. recently updated you're looking at closer to $170-185k+

Trust me, we did the numbers recently.

I believe you on the numbers, but I also notice you used a 2000+ sq. ft. for your numbers. Our house is under 1700 and there's plenty of 1400 sq. ft. houses around where I live. Going absurdly cheap (which you have to remember, they're doing a lot of this labor themselves as well) a 1400 sq ft house pretty much matches what they've put into it (so far) Remember the number is going up as they still haven't finished.

I believe you on the numbers, but I also notice you used a 2000+ sq. ft. for your numbers. Our house is under 1700 and there's plenty of 1400 sq. ft. houses around where I live. Going absurdly cheap (which you have to remember, they're doing a lot of this labor themselves as well) a 1400 sq ft house pretty much matches what they've put into it (so far) Remember the number is going up as they still haven't finished.
The home in question was 2170 feet, so his calculations are correct. And $65k isn't what he has spent (yet). Its the price quoted to fix the whole thing from a GC.

BTW, speaking of engineered flooring, I keep hearing really, really good things about the vinyl click-lock planks. They look just as much like wood as laminate, but are more durable and can be installed in bathrooms.

I wouldn't do a bathroom floor in anything other than ceramic tile or VCT. The latter is the stuff you find on the floors of schools, hospitals, Walmart, etc... it's cheap, watertight and indestructible.

Bamboo flooring is what jesus recommends
Woman I know had her ceramic tile torn up and bamboo put down because "it's green"

Greenest thing people can do is cease to fucking exist, wish more people like them would do that.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL