EDU: Don't ever help anyone, ever.

water

Flaccid Member
Oct 29, 2004
AZ
Marklar
₥272
Last summer I decided to go against my better judgement and "help someone out". This someone was a co-worker who had been down on his luck for several years due to medical problems as well as just being plain unlucky. The way I helped him is buying selling him our unused (but still rather nice nice and fully functioning) car that we had planned to sell in the near future anyway. He and I agreed that he would pay me $50/month until he received a "lump sum" of money from a trust that he pulled from yearly that comes up in February. Well over the course of the last 6-8 months I think he's actually paid me about $150, his cell phone has been disconnected, he doesn't respond to my emails, and won't call me back after I left a message at his work desk phone. I'd say it's likely that we'll never actually get paid at this point.

Moral is: Don't ever help anyone, ever.

edit: He owes us about $1,800 for the car, should I take him to court over it?

Last edited:
If you take him to court doyou have any chance of getting your money? If he doesn't have any then what's the point? Could you get the car back if you sued? then maybe it would be worth it.

If you take him to court doyou have any chance of getting your money? If he doesn't have any then what's the point? Could you get the car back if you sued? then maybe it would be worth it.

Honestly I don't want the car back at this point. I found out after-the-fact that he smokes in it thus making it worthless to me to drive again, and much harder to sell. I guess I could get it back and donate it to the Cancer Foundation for a tax break though, or trade it in on the next car for whatever.

Last edited:
do you need the money? if so, it may be worth going to court

if not, I'd forget about it and consider it a lesson in life. it's karma points++

With all the firearms you own do you actually have to think how to get your money from this guy?

There's no way he'd have the money on hand, he barely scrapes by on what he makes. I know this because I worked for the same company in the department and made slightly more, and we barely survived on it.

do you need the money? if so, it may be worth going to court

if not, I'd forget about it and consider it a lesson in life. it's karma points++

We don't NEED it to the point that we won't survive without it, but I'd much rather have it than not.

Last edited:
If he hasn't paid you then the car is yours. I would get a gas can and torch the car. Let some "Italian Lightning" take care of it.

meh, i'm the optimist. i was taught to trust all people and had to grow up real fast when i found the real world. i still trust people to a fault.

meh, i'm the optimist. i was taught to trust all people and had to grow up real fast when i found the real world. i still trust people to a fault.

I'm no optimist, but I apparently do have a misplaced sense of trust.

i took a lady to court for not paying me rent. i knew i would never get my money but it sure felt good.

did you sign over the title?

Yeah...that.

I signed as a lein holder and the state has yet to send me back my paperwork. So I'm worried that:

1) Utah found one final way to screw me over.

2) He forged my signature on an actual title exchange.

now it's starting to seem messy. has he even filed the title with the state? he may be just driving it unregistered. you might want to check on that.

in general though, it might cost you more in lawyer fees then you'll ever get out of it, but I would do a bunch of research anyway and see if I could take care of it myself just for spite.

now it's starting to seem messy. has he even filed the title with the state? he may be just driving it unregistered. you might want to check on that.

in general though, it might cost you more in lawyer fees then you'll ever get out of it, but I would do a bunch of research anyway and see if I could take care of it myself just for spite.

The court/lawyer fees aside I'd have to go to court in Utah, which travel and time off of work would be a pain and costly. Ugh.