Ontopic DWAI: Driving while ability impaired

should just do field sobriety tests instead of BAC. it's a bad indicator.

i was listening to a former defense attorney actually talking about how the guys with 2 or 3 DUI's are never the problems, they've learned to drive drunk. they take back roads, go slower, etc... they're never the ones killing people. i thought it was a weird statement since those same guys had to get that 1st one as well, but i think his main point was repeat offenders typically aren't the problem so ramping up the consequences doesn't really help.

i was listening to a former defense attorney actually talking about how the guys with 2 or 3 DUI's are never the problems, they've learned to drive drunk. they take back roads, go slower, etc... they're never the ones killing people. i thought it was a weird statement since those same guys had to get that 1st one as well, but i think his main point was repeat offenders typically aren't the problem so ramping up the consequences doesn't really help.
This is true.
A career drunk will steal an unregistered garbage truck and write a fake temp license plate on a napkin in order to drive snookered through 13 miles of downtown Baghdad to sleep in a pig trough.

Never blow.

Never blow.
In Florida, at least, definitely do not blow. Even if you blow a 0.0, the door has been opened to order blood and urine drug testing if they think you seem impaired.

I always wonder who they get to actually draw the blood. It is considered assault without the patient's permission, so I certainly would never do it as a nurse.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and APRIL
So watching my local news tonight they had a story about a study CDOT is doing around impaired driving. The DUI limit in CO is .08 but apparently there is another called a DWAI that is .05 to .08 that most people don't know about. The punishment is less than a DUI but it's an arrest none the less. They said most states have this but most people aren't aware of it. I admit I was not aware of it at all. The point of the story is they are trying to make people aware of it as well as doing a big study here around these pocket sized $100 BAC units that dumps directly to your phone. It gives your current limit as well as an estimate of when you'll be back below the limit. They are giving the units aware here for a study which I found pretty interesting. Bottom line I had no idea about this whole DWAI thing and to be honest a .05 isn't that hard to hit for some it may be a single drink.

yeah, it made big news locally there in CO for about a year when it got enacted. It was enacted during the social hysteria of George H Bush's lovely 'Zero Tolerence' war on drugs mandate that even a single pot seed could warrant them your home.

It's DWI in Maryland and it .04 BAC. Personally I think if you intend to drink, get a designated driver or only have one or two drinks and don't drive for an hour or two. Yeah it's a numbers game but they have to write the law somehow. I'm really sick of people being like "I'm okay to drive even though everyone else isn't at this level." It's the same as people saying "I'm better at texting and driving even though everyone else isn't." JUST DON'T FUCKING DO IT! Stop thinking you are somehow better than everyone else and treat driving as the responsibility that it is. Cars are deadly weapons and they should be treated with the same amount of care that responsible gun owners treat their guns. Lock that shit up and when you have it out use every safety feature at your disposal including your healthy, uncompromised brain.