Ontopic DWAI: Driving while ability impaired

Floptical

Doesnt Read Thread Titles
Sep 1, 2006
Rockies
Marklar
₥34,709
So watching my local news tonight they had a story about a study CDOT is doing around impaired driving. The DUI limit in CO is .08 but apparently there is another called a DWAI that is .05 to .08 that most people don't know about. The punishment is less than a DUI but it's an arrest none the less. They said most states have this but most people aren't aware of it. I admit I was not aware of it at all. The point of the story is they are trying to make people aware of it as well as doing a big study here around these pocket sized $100 BAC units that dumps directly to your phone. It gives your current limit as well as an estimate of when you'll be back below the limit. They are giving the units aware here for a study which I found pretty interesting. Bottom line I had no idea about this whole DWAI thing and to be honest a .05 isn't that hard to hit for some it may be a single drink.

The legal limit here in Australia is 0.05. The way we are taught is 2 standard drinks in your first hour, and 1 standard drink after every hour from then on. That should keep the average sized guy under the limit.

So watching my local news tonight they had a story about a study CDOT is doing around impaired driving. The DUI limit in CO is .08 but apparently there is another called a DWAI that is .05 to .08 that most people don't know about. The punishment is less than a DUI but it's an arrest none the less. They said most states have this but most people aren't aware of it. I admit I was not aware of it at all. The point of the story is they are trying to make people aware of it as well as doing a big study here around these pocket sized $100 BAC units that dumps directly to your phone. It gives your current limit as well as an estimate of when you'll be back below the limit. They are giving the units aware here for a study which I found pretty interesting. Bottom line I had no idea about this whole DWAI thing and to be honest a .05 isn't that hard to hit for some it may be a single drink.
I know in Georgia USA they have that mini DUI at .05. If you get into an accident, you are charged dui if you blow a (i think) .04.

They also have double DUIs, if you blow above a certain number, I think .12, you get charged with 2 DUIs. I had a friend in college who got a double DUI there and couldn't drive for a year or something.

in California i've seen the commercials stating "driving while buzzed" will hold similar consequences as a "driving under the influence" charge. they don't mention specifically what that really means, but most people know what they want! if you smell like weed cough up the estimated $10k that drunk drivers are averaging to get right with the PTB.
can't wait to see how this pans out IRL
:D "what's the problem, officer"
:mad: "have you smoked and, or consumed any cannabis products recently"
:D "but sir,.. i don't get high"
:mad: "get out of the car, place your left middle finger up my butt and recite the alphabet in reverse order!"
:eek: "okayyy,.. i'll do it"
:mad: "GODDAMMIT!!! THATS NOT A FINGER"!!!

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and nukes
This is all just a plan to transfer wealth from drinkers to the govt while propping up the private prison system. There's already laws against anything you can do with a car from unsafe movement to assault, manslaughter, and higher. What does it matter if you're drinking, can you keep it between the lines or not?

This is all just a plan to transfer wealth from drinkers to the govt while propping up the private prison system. There's already laws against anything you can do with a car from unsafe movement to assault, manslaughter, and higher. What does it matter if you're drinking, can you keep it between the lines or not?

and btw, pot is my remedy for road rage! not more than a puff of chonic and i'm compliant and loving

and btw, pot is my remedy for road rage! no more than one puff of chonic and i'm compliant and loving

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and HipHugHer
I went to a wine festival and partook in many hours of wine consumption, when I was definitely not the DD. There was a pavilion of cops at the exit with breathalyzer tests and a "chill zone" if you blew too high (no penalties or judgement, they just wanted people to be safe). I stepped up to bat and blew a 0.05. I was fucking wrecked. Like, didn't know my own name wrecked. There's no way I'd even consider getting behind the wheel of a car anywhere near a 0.05

I went to a wine festival and partook in many hours of wine consumption, when I was definitely not the DD. There was a pavilion of cops at the exit with breathalyzer tests and a "chill zone" if you blew too high (no penalties or judgement, they just wanted people to be safe). I stepped up to bat and blew a 0.05. I was fucking wrecked. Like, didn't know my own name wrecked. There's no way I'd even consider getting behind the wheel of a car anywhere near a 0.05

That's the fallacy of using one number to measure everybody. We're not all the same. For some, that much is wrecked, for others it isn't even noticeable.

That's the fallacy of using one number to measure everybody. We're not all the same. For some, that much is wrecked, for others it isn't even noticeable.
Agreed, but what's the lowest common denominator if not 0.00 or close enough to it? Do we start regulating drinking and driving as strictly as they do in the UK/Europe?

Back in my brief tenure as a drunk, I'm willing to bet I would have had a hard time blowing less than a .15 at any given sitting.
I bypassed getting my license til I got sober. I once blacked out during drivers Ed, the instructor asked me "do you remember that incident back at the intersection?"
I replied "nope".
Good judgement, I would have killed someone.

Agreed, but what's the lowest common denominator if not 0.00 or close enough to it? Do we start regulating drinking and driving as strictly as they do in the UK/Europe?

Me personally? I'd just scrap the whole thing. Of course I realize that would never happen politically as it would take millions of dollars away from the justice system and I'd be labeled some sort of Satan spawn baby killer or something.

Really though, if you can't keep control of your car for whatever reason and end up hurting or killing someone, then you've committed some sort of personal injury, assault, property damage, negligent homicide or whatever. Doesn't really matter if you had a drink first or not.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Me personally? I'd just scrap the whole thing. Of course I realize that would never happen politically as it would take millions of dollars away from the justice system and I'd be labeled some sort of Satan spawn baby killer or something.

Really though, if you can't keep control of your car for whatever reason and end up hurting or killing someone, then you've committed some sort of personal injury, assault, property damage, negligent homicide or whatever. Doesn't really matter if you had a drink first or not.

I realize this sounds mean as probably all of us know someone who was killed by a drunk on the road, I know I do.

More of a theoretical thing as it's the restricting of people's activities before those activities hurt anyone else in the name of "prevention".

I'd be more inclined to go along with it if there was some way to measure impairedness that was actually medically valid but all these field sobriety tests and BAC measurements are not. It's so bad now their confiscating property (impounding cars), revoking licenses, and jailing people for refusing consent to search (breath or blood draw) all before any of them have been found guilty in a court of law. Add to that making the fines so high most people couldn't even afford to fight it and are pretty much defacto forced into taking a plea deal.

And no, I haven't gotten a DWI and am just "pissed at the system" because of it.

The thing is though that drunk driving-related accidents and deaths have declined significantly since BAC limits were put in place and take drunk drivers off the road or make people reconsider getting behind the wheel after (potentially) too many. I think it's a fair compromise between "gimme back my freedoms, man" and waiting until someone else needlessly gets killed to prosecute someone for driving while Impaired.

• Gravy
Reactions: Hoff Kinkmeister
The thing is though that drunk driving-related accidents and deaths have declined significantly since BAC limits were put in place and take drunk drivers off the road or make people reconsider getting behind the wheel after (potentially) too many. I think it's a fair compromise between "gimme back my freedoms, man" and waiting until someone else needlessly gets killed to prosecute someone for driving while Impaired.

I understand that. I just think it's gone too far with punishing people before they're ever tried and convicted. And the tests and how they're used.

Don't drag us into it. Our BAC limits are the same as yours. It's the rest of Europe that's pussified. You do automatically lose your licence for a time if you're over the limit though.