DVR

theacoustician said:
If its the DISH 921, then God help you.

Meh, if they need to be replaced every two years and it's free, it's not really hurting us. I have no real complaints with our satellite service. It was better than the alternative and it is rare that it gets all wonky due to weather. If I lose some DVR'd programs in the transaction it's no real loss either. I watch too much TV anyway.

elpmis said:

lewls.jpg

eileenbunny said:
Meh, if they need to be replaced every two years and it's free, it's not really hurting us. I have no real complaints with our satellite service. It was better than the alternative and it is rare that it gets all wonky due to weather. If I lose some DVR'd programs in the transaction it's no real loss either. I watch too much TV anyway.
I'm just saying that box (the 921) is a nightmare. If that's what you have, demand a new one, stat. For a while, I know Dish was swapping 921's for 942's for free. I'm sure you could sweet talk them into doing it even now.

theacoustician said:
I'm just saying that box (the 921) is a nightmare. If that's what you have, demand a new one, stat. For a while, I know Dish was swapping 921's for 942's for free. I'm sure you could sweet talk them into doing it even now.
it's okay, theac, let her go

theacoustician said:

My jaw is getting really sore from all the "sweet talking" I have to do :(

theacoustician said:
Basic analog cable or basic digital cable?
I don't think analog cable is even an option here...

ETA: Yes it is... :lol:

There are only 10 channels on it :-O

Last edited:
fly said:
No shens (I didnt count though, looks like 16)

2 Public Access
3 WSTM-3 (Syracuse, NBC)
4 WSPX-56 (Syracuse, Paxson Communications)
5 WTVH-5 (Syracuse, CBS)
6 WNYS-43 (Syracuse, WB)
7 WSYT-68 (Syracuse, FOX)
8 WSYR-9 (ABC Syracuse)
10 News 10 Now
11 WCNY-24 (Syracuse, PBS)
12 TBS
13 WSTQ (Syracuse, UPN)
14 WIVT-34 (Binghamton, ABC)
15 C-SPAN 2
16 C-SPAN
17 TV Guide Channel

fly said:
Analog is a bandwidth hog and much more difficult to maintain over digital. Digital cable also has the advantage that most people need a set to box to view it, giving the cable company additional revenue off leasing boxes. It also has this nasty habit of carrying encryption (like 5C) and making recording or viewing it in any way but what the cable companies allow next to impossible.

theacoustician said:
Analog is a bandwidth hog and much more difficult to maintain over digital. Digital cable also has the advantage that most people need a set to box to view it, giving the cable company additional revenue off leasing boxes. It also has this nasty habit of carrying encryption (like 5C) and making recording or viewing it in any way but what the cable companies allow next to impossible.
That 5C encryption is what our DCT6142 uses. :(

FlyNavy said:
That 5C encryption is what our DCT6142 uses. :(
The only way to get around it is to build or buy an AVX1. www.169time.com

They're a little sketchy as to what it does, but it looks like it pretends to be a 5C compliant device, then strips the flag out as it passes it downstream.

theacoustician said:
The only way to get around it is to build or buy an AVX1. www.169time.com

They're a little sketchy as to what it does, but it looks like it pretends to be a 5C compliant device, then strips the flag out as it passes it downstream.
but as I said before, if I saved the file as a .mpg instead of .ts it would play beautifully :( I'm confoozled

FlyNavy said:
but as I said before, if I saved the file as a .mpg instead of .ts it would play beautifully :( I'm confoozled
It would play because the placement of the flag is random. If you watched the clip long enough, it would cut off or crash when it hit one.