DVR

shawndavid

Are you wanting making fuck berserker?
I just got this idea - I'm becoming bored watching Judge Milian dole out justice.

Post what's on your DVR's hard drive lying in wait for a shitty TV night.

Living room:

Modern Marvels: Engineering Disasters 18
Future Weapons: Future Shock
The Planets: Destiny
Uncharted Waters: Florida's Underground Water Vein
Super Bowl HIghlights: Bucs/Raiders
Intervention
Wife Swap (4)
The Blitz: London's Longest Night
College Football: '94 FSU/UN Orange Bowl
Treasure Hunters
Panda Nursery
The Silence of the Lambs (Amy)
Harry Potter (Amy)
China Rises
Dallas (Amy - 13 of them, geez honey catch the fuck up)
Rescue Me (2)
King of Cars
Reno 911
Weeds
Scarface (Amy, oddly enough)
The Killing Fields

Bed room:

Smokey and the Bandit (Amy)
Donnie Brasco (Amy)
A commercial I thought was funny
Dallas
30 Days
9 to 5 (Amy, jesus)
Guests of the Ayatolla
Lost Worlds: Manhattan Project
North Korea: Access to Evil
Bernie Mac (3)
Ultimate Survival: Everest
American Eats (3) (insert joke here - great show about history of foods)
Grizzly Man (Amy - we've seen it three times yet she still wants Timothy Treadwell on the friggin DVR)
Entourage
Lucky Louie
Twin Peaks
Coldplay Live Leak
A short clip from Runaway Bride that I had to record due to its sheer ridiculousness - we watch it when we need to laugh

This took WAY longer than I expected. I think I pulled a hammy.

We DVR:
Good Eats
30 minute meals
The Daily Show
Real World: Fresh Meat
Real World: Key West
The Messengers
How Drugs Became Illegal

lets see... I only use it to record the Venture Brothers
Tish on the other hand...

The Wiggles
Most stuff on the WB/CW
Crossing Jordan
Cold Case
House
the 4400
some DIY shows
Supernatural

All in HD:
Lucky Louie
Serenity
Constantine
Kingdom of Heaven
Entourage

SD:
Think we watched all the stuff we had on there. Had been recording-
Last comic Standing
Hells Kitchen

Don't keep much on there. Usually we are prtty good about watching something that we recorded within the week, so we can delete it off the HDD. Mainly cause the HD movies take up so much space.

DVR =

Eureka
Stargate - Atlantis
Stargate - SG1
Mind of Mencia
Kyle XY
My Name is Earl
The Office
Simpsons
Family Guy
American Dad

As for Movies we have OnDemand

Equilibrium
Ventures Bros
Dead Like Me
Dirty Jobs
Eureka
Deathclock

I watch everything off DVR though... Never watch stuff on TV.

FlamingGloryHole said:
Equilibrium
Ventures Bros
Dead Like Me
Dirty Jobs
Eureka
Deathclock

I watch everything off DVR though... Never watch stuff on TV.

OH SNAP! You just made me realize that I can now DVR all the great shows on Adult Swim that I never catch anymore! Thanks!

I spent a while trying to figure out how to access the raw data on the DVR's hard drive but no such luck. I did manage to capture via Firewire but so far the only app that'll grab it properly is CapDVHS; Premier will bluescreen. :confused: Anyways, I managed to capture a couple episodes of So You Think You Can Dance to edit and upload for a friend but the only app I could find to convert it properly was HDTVtoMPEG2 but that required splitting up the files or it would crash if I tried to make them any larger than 1GB. Problem with that is that splitting the data ruins the audio sync and no amount of fiddling with Premier could get it back. :( I spent a week trying to fix those files and never really got them perfect. :/

Eventually found a torrent of those episodes so it's all gravy. :o

bast_imret said:
OH SNAP! You just made me realize that I can now DVR all the great shows on Adult Swim that I never catch anymore! Thanks!
Yeah, DVR is awesome for Adult Swim. I usually just record the entire sunday night block (all the new shows).

FlyNavy said:
I spent a while trying to figure out how to access the raw data on the DVR's hard drive but no such luck. I did manage to capture via Firewire but so far the only app that'll grab it properly is CapDVHS; Premier will bluescreen. :confused: Anyways, I managed to capture a couple episodes of So You Think You Can Dance to edit and upload for a friend but the only app I could find to convert it properly was HDTVtoMPEG2 but that required splitting up the files or it would crash if I tried to make them any larger than 1GB. Problem with that is that splitting the data ruins the audio sync and no amount of fiddling with Premier could get it back. :( I spent a week trying to fix those files and never really got them perfect. :/

Someone needs to spend more time at Doom9 forums

ceiling fly said:
We DVR:
Good Eats
30 minute meals
The Daily Show
Real World: Fresh Meat
Real World: Key West
The Messengers
How Drugs Became Illegal

I just want to say that Real World: Fresh Meat is not my doing.

FlyNavy said:

hah. thats why I love my SageTV. plain vanilla mpeg files. Unless I go max quality I usually dont have to reencode them for DVD usage either.

theacoustician said:
Someone needs to spend more time at Doom9 forums
dude, I did. it's where I found the drivers for the box - though we have a dct3142 instead of the 6142...couldn't find drivers for the former but the ones for the latter allowed me to capture without a problem since there's supposedly onlt a slight difference 'tween the two.

Another problem is that capturing in ts wouldn't work due to copy protection so the files had to be saved as .mpgs, contrary to what this site says. In the end the raw video played beautifully in VLC but Premier wouldn't recognize the video file nor would any other app I tried to use to strip the commercials. Would have been nice if HDTVtoMPEG2 was able to encode files larger than a gigabyte but it was the splitting of the files that ruined the audio sync. Even after trying to fix it I lost nearly a good minute of audio between all the commercial cuts.

Help me A/V-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Last edited:
FlyNavy said:
dude, I did. it's where I found the drivers for the box - though we have a dct3142 instead of the 6142...couldn't find drivers for the former but the ones for the latter allowed me to capture without a problem since there's supposedly onlt a slight difference 'tween the two.

Another problem is that capturing in ts wouldn't work due to copy protection so the files had to be saved as .mpgs, contrary to what this site says. In the end the raw video played beautifully in VLC but Premier wouldn't recognize the video file nor would any other app I tried to use to strip the commercials. Would have been nice if HDTVtoMPEG2 was able to encode files larger than a gigabyte but it was the splitting of the files that ruined the audio sync. Even after trying to fix it I lost nearly a good minute of audio between all the commercial cuts.

Help me A/V-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.
1. This isn't trying to be anal, but you aren't re-encoding a thing when you move from a ts file to a mpeg file. A ts stream is just a packetized mpeg (in the US, that almost always means its MPEG2). I know that may sound petty, but getting little things like this wrong completely negates any chance of understanding other weirdness you have to go through to make this shit work. It does for me at least.

2. If you had a hard limit of 1GB, it sounds like you didn't properly set the MaxFileSize flag. 1 GB happens to be the default setting.

3. If you want to trim up ts files, try this http://jonkers.net.au/index_files/freewaresoftware.htm

4. So You Think You Can Dance? WTF is wrong with you?

Other than that, its hard to trace your sync problem without more info.