DVD Region/PAL question

If this is a DVD then you can change the region by using IFOedit.

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t242129.html

BigDov said:
Hmm..... it looks like a region 2 release to me. From what you're saying, you're playing it on your set-top dvd player, and it really shouldn't even work in it. I *think* if you were to play it in your computer with PowerDVD or something like that, you could change the region code and watch it that way....... other than that, it sounds like you're S.O.L. :(

wait, i thought DVD's were region encoded, but not PAL/NTSC encoded. Me thinks that PAL/NTSC standards have everything to do with coax. a DVD player that only outputs in component/s-video/optical formats should have nothing to do with PAL/NTSC. If you buy a DVD player with coax output though you need to make sure that the player is changing the digital signal into what your tv/vcr understands, whether that be PAL or NTSC.

furthermore, a dvd which is encoded for a region other than that of your player will be unplayable entirely.

Jonny_B said:
wait, i thought DVD's were region encoded, but not PAL/NTSC encoded. Me thinks that PAL/NTSC standards have everything to do with coax. a DVD player that only outputs in component/s-video/optical formats should have nothing to do with PAL/NTSC. If you buy a DVD player with coax output though you need to make sure that the player is changing the digital signal into what your tv/vcr understands, whether that be PAL or NTSC.

furthermore, a dvd which is encoded for a region other than that of your player will be unplayable entirely.
Wrong

theacoustician said:
damn. i thought PAL and NTSC were just the different formats for.... fuck if I can't remember the name of it. What are those boxes called that you use between your dvd player and t.v. if your dvd played won't output coax? modulator? i thought PAL and NTSC were just different modulation formats.

Jonny_B said:
damn. i thought PAL and NTSC were just the different formats for.... fuck if I can't remember the name of it. What are those boxes called that you use between your dvd player and t.v. if your dvd played won't output coax? modulator? i thought PAL and NTSC were just different modulation formats.
NTSC is 525 lines of horizontal resolution at 60Hz interlaced
PAL is 625 lines of horizontal resolution at 50Hz interlaced.=

theacoustician said:
NTSC is 525 lines of horizontal resolution at 60Hz interlaced
PAL is 625 lines of horizontal resolution at 50Hz interlaced.=
ok, but is a DVD PAL/NTSC encoded? or is it the player which determines how the output is encoded? I thought all dvd's were the same with the exception of the region encoding.

Jonny_B said:
ok, but is a DVD PAL/NTSC encoded? or is it the player which determines how the output is encoded? I thought all dvd's were the same with the exception of the region encoding.
No.