DVD Region/PAL question

S

smileynev

Would a different DVD region then my home dvd player or a PAL encoded DVD cause the image to roll when I watch it on TV?

It shouldn't even accept the format if it's not ntsc/atsc

dovo said:
It shouldn't even accept the format if it's not ntsc/atsc
hmmm, well I get the video, it just rolls funny. Maybe it is NTSC but encoded to a different region.

long tall smiley said:
hmmm, well I get the video, it just rolls funny. Maybe it is NTSC but encoded to a different region.

Do you have the case that the dvd came in? It should say what region it's coded for; I can't think of any reason a dvd coded anything other than Region 0 or Region 1 would even fire up in your player.

did you fully rewind the dvd before playing it? I heard that can be a problem sometimes :p

I got nothing

If it's the wrong region or encoding, it shouldn't play at all.

it shouldn't play at all unless you have a region hack.

Perhaps it's encoded poorly. I'm assuming this was encoded for region 69 - Jaurez, Mexico.

crazymike said:
Perhaps it's encoded poorly. I'm assuming this was encoded for region 69 - Jaurez, Mexico.

TQF

That might cause these problems.

It rolls because the the TV is 60hz and the PAL is 50hz. The VHS player shouldn't even be able to play it unless it is multi system.

http://www.dvdoverseas.com/vcr.htm

Multisystem VCR's have unique feature of playback NTSC(U.S.System) videos with PAL only(overseas) TV. This means that you don't need to buy a multi-system TV to view NTSC tapes overseas. To view Pal tapes on an American TV(NTSC), either you need a multisystem VCR built-in converter or a separate video system converter with any of our multi system video recorders

long tall smiley said:

my player plays all regions and all formats of DVD
you just need to find better sources to *download* your movies

BigDov said:
Do you have the case that the dvd came in? It should say what region it's coded for; I can't think of any reason a dvd coded anything other than Region 0 or Region 1 would even fire up in your player.
I'll see if I can find the guy who bittorrented it and find out...:(

Its Buffy Season 7 and it hasn't been released in the US yet.

Does it play on your computer? I downloaded a PAL DVD and it won't play on my DVD player but it will on my computer. If your VCR is multisystem then maybe the ouput is not being converted to NTSC. Are there any options in the menu's that let you define the output? look for switches on the case also. Good luck

long tall smiley said:

long tall smiley said:

Hmm..... it looks like a region 2 release to me. From what you're saying, you're playing it on your set-top dvd player, and it really shouldn't even work in it. I *think* if you were to play it in your computer with PowerDVD or something like that, you could change the region code and watch it that way....... other than that, it sounds like you're S.O.L. :(

BigDov said:
Hmm..... it looks like a region 2 release to me. From what you're saying, you're playing it on your set-top dvd player, and it really shouldn't even work in it. I *think* if you were to play it in your computer with PowerDVD or something like that, you could change the region code and watch it that way....... other than that, it sounds like you're S.O.L. :(
It plays fine on my iBook using VLC. Fucking brits