durka durka, surfs up!

Doesnt have much to do with Islam though. It's an african thing and not all that popular.
Then I'm mistaken in thinking Muslim and Islam are connected? Because my link was to a Muslim beliefs website which is associated with this thread referring to the...oddities of the Muslim (extremest) beliefs. I was merely pointing out that the beliefs and practices are, for lack of a better word, archaic.

The islamic religions scare me more than most popular religions.
it says right at the beginning of the article that it's not an "islamic" thing.

as for the burka/abaya thing it's just a different standard of nakedness. it's not "forced" on women, as though given the option they'd whip off their abaya. It's a cultural norm, similar to how most american women would feel uncomfortable going topless even if they could (which they can in Ontario though few do). Like clothing styles here the style also changes with time. Older traditional dress in, for example, the UAE was much more colourful than plain black, but plain black became popular. Now it's going out of style. Most women in abayas in the UAE today are wearing those that, while still usually black, are of different fabrics and adorned with designs, jewels, weave patterns etc. You also see variation in those who cover their entire face, all but the eyes, or leave the whole face uncovered. Some are even letting their hair show. Think of that as girls wearing jeans with the panties sticking out the back.

Islam doesn't scare me any more than Protestant Christianity. The fundamentalists in both groups are nut-cases, but so are fundamental ATi fanbois.

as for the burka/abaya thing it's just a different standard of nakedness. it's not "forced" on women, as though given the option they'd whip off their abaya. It's a cultural norm, similar to how most american women would feel uncomfortable going topless even if they could (which they can in Ontario though few do). Like clothing styles here the style also changes with time. Older traditional dress in, for example, the UAE was much more colourful than plain black, but plain black became popular. Now it's going out of style. Most women in abayas in the UAE today are wearing those that, while still usually black, are of different fabrics and adorned with designs, jewels, weave patterns etc. You also see variation in those who cover their entire face, all but the eyes, or leave the whole face uncovered. Some are even letting their hair show. Think of that as girls wearing jeans with the panties sticking out the back.

Islam doesn't scare me any more than Protestant Christianity. The fundamentalists in both groups are nut-cases, but so are fundamental ATi fanbois.

Well put.

Then I'm mistaken in thinking Muslim and Islam are connected? Because my link was to a Muslim beliefs website which is associated with this thread referring to the...oddities of the Muslim (extremest) beliefs. I was merely pointing out that the beliefs and practices are, for lack of a better word, archaic.

a few quotes:

" Until recently, the majority of the world's over one billion Muslims had scarcely heard of female genital cutting"

" The circumcision of girls, in any form, predated Islam by many centuries."

" The Qur'an, as a text providing mainly general guidelines (with some injunctions or laws spelled out specifically) does not address the issue of circumcision of either males or females."

"Several sayings of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) highlight the importance of giving and deriving pleasure from intimacy between a husband and wife. This is clear from sayings that informed the community regarding the types of sexual behavior that were considered lawful and from others that addressed the sexual needs of men and women. Clearly, any act that interferes with a fulfilling sexual relationship contradicts the essence of Islam based both on Qur'an and hadith."

" Despite the opinion of the scholars, female circumcision never became widespread among Muslims around the world and is essentially non-existent among the native inhabitants of Saudi Arabia and many other Muslim countries today."

" Islam is a religion that guarantees the integrity of the human being- both in body and in spirit. Female genital cutting violates that integrity, insulting Allah the Creator Whose creation needs no improvement:"

if you're trying to make Islam look bad you picked the wrong article.

a few quotes:

" Until recently, the majority of the world's over one billion Muslims had scarcely heard of female genital cutting"

" The circumcision of girls, in any form, predated Islam by many centuries."

" The Qur'an, as a text providing mainly general guidelines (with some injunctions or laws spelled out specifically) does not address the issue of circumcision of either males or females."

"Several sayings of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) highlight the importance of giving and deriving pleasure from intimacy between a husband and wife. This is clear from sayings that informed the community regarding the types of sexual behavior that were considered lawful and from others that addressed the sexual needs of men and women. Clearly, any act that interferes with a fulfilling sexual relationship contradicts the essence of Islam based both on Qur'an and hadith."

" Despite the opinion of the scholars, female circumcision never became widespread among Muslims around the world and is essentially non-existent among the native inhabitants of Saudi Arabia and many other Muslim countries today."

" Islam is a religion that guarantees the integrity of the human being- both in body and in spirit. Female genital cutting violates that integrity, insulting Allah the Creator Whose creation needs no improvement:"

if you're trying to make Islam look bad you picked the wrong article.

Islam is fucked up. Quit trying to dress it up.

Read Johnny_B's post. It is part of the culture of some of the areas where Islam is the majority religion but it is not Muslim per se. It is also practiced by Christians in the same geographic area.

"looking at religion independently, it is not possible to establish a general association with FGM/C status." - http://www.unicef.org/publications/files/FGM-C_final_10_October.pdf

Fair enough.