Ontopic Dungeons & Dragons

my little brony

Keep Being A Little Bitch
Oct 15, 2004
Marklar
₥21,495
Let's start an online D&D campaign. @MadDog has already shown interest, @Domon needs convincing, and I'm correctly assuming @Dory will come along for the ride.

We can use roll20.net or just have a hangouts/skype call and simply use the power of our

LOVTHQ2.gif

I recommend 5th edition, as much I love 3.5 and AD&D this new edition is fantastic. Casters are no longer useless below level 6, much better skill management, lots of good stuff.

• Gravy
Reactions: Petunia and MadDog
tears of laughter and joy. I honestly have never had a bad experience introducing someone to D&D. the more unlike the typical D&D nerd the person is the more enjoyable it is to watch. everyone tends to take the game less seriously so the new person can get used to it which results in it being a lot more fun

then again maybe I've just been lucky. but every time for me really has been like carlos the dwarf

it would make her insults even more hilarious. next time she's yelling at CEO about some pirate hooker she'll throw out "and that bitch looks like a gnoll that got maced in the face!"

You say that because you probably have an intimate understanding of the game. I would bet there is quite the learning curve. :iono:

The way I look at the statement is that the DM is setting the rules of the game. The DM will decide if the game will strictly follow the rule books or just use them as reference points. In D&D the rules can be simplified down to the basics needed to run the campaign. Complexity can be added as players get more comfortable with the system. The game was originally designed to be played even if everyone in the group is new to it.

I'd say the learning curve for the current edition is the smoothest. The character creation and combat rules are simplified but not dumbed down. There are much more complex systems out there that incorporate dice, cards, and poker chips, all of which get used in pretty much every encounter. In D&D it's just dice and you'll almost always be rolling a D20 (which is why the D&D-type systems are typically known as d20).

You'll pick it up as fast as you would skyrim

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
You say that because you probably have an intimate understanding of the game. I would bet there is quite the learning curve. :iono:

Yeah, the player still needs to know a lot of things. The DM make sure the rules stay pat, but if the player says 'I wanna cast fireball' when he's a level 1 cleric, well, then everyone suffers.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Let's start an online D&D campaign. @MadDog has already shown interest, @Domon needs convincing, and I'm correctly assuming @Dory will come along for the ride.

We can use roll20.net or just have a hangouts/skype call and simply use the power of our

LOVTHQ2.gif

I recommend 5th edition, as much I love 3.5 and AD&D this new edition is fantastic. Casters are no longer useless below level 6, much better skill management, lots of good stuff.
i think i have an idealized view of D&d. like in my head, its basically the scene from ET, sitting around a couch or a table with a bunch of buddies, with munchies.

a lot of interactions with new players will go something like this:

DM: you are walking down a road. NPC comes out of the woods offering to trade. you notice he seems shifty and nervous
you: can I tell if he's lying?
DM: roll a d20 and add the insight modifier from your character sheet
you: 18
DM: he's a lying sack of shit and you know it
you: can I kill him?
DM: yes. roll a d20 and add your attack bonus.
you: 16
DM: you hit him with your sword. roll a d6 and add your strength modifier
you: 4
DM: dat muthafucka dead, yo!

not with that scenario, of course, but through the course of playing you're told exactly what you need to do during your turn. I've seen people pick up D&D simply by playing with the group when we didn't have access to any of the books

• Gravy
Reactions: MadDog