Ontopic Dukes Downton Abbey Diary

Duke

. . first name's "Daisy" boys
May 12, 2008
Brandon, FL
Marklar
₥36,353
So.. I've been needing a new series, and I've heard so many people talk about Downton Abbey so I decided to give it a go over the weekend while I was recovering.

Now, to my benefit, I knew nothing about what goes on in the show, and almost nothing about the characters, basic storyline, nada. I went in blind. Glad I did.

I'll be honest, I almost gave up on the show during the middle of EP1. The reason - EVERYONE WAS AN ASSHOLE.

Jesus fuck. Maybe that's just what being british is, but I didn't like anyone except for Mr Bates (more on him later. )

And the self absorbed pretension of the Crawleys. I mean, for fucks sake, a family of 5 doesn't need THAT many people to pander and cater to their every need and whim. That concept alone really bothered me. (more on this later too.. Like the series, the realizations are also a progression)

However, it was the very last scene, with how Lord Crawley suddenly became human to me with his last minute change of heart with Mr Bates (one of my favorite characters) redeemed the show for a bit, and earned it a watch of EP2. And I'm glad I did.

My other posts ITT will just diary my viewing of the show. I refuse to ruin any of it for me by looking for spoilers.

As much as I want to know, almost NEED to know, that O'Brien and Thomas die horribly and painfully.

and my gosh, the actor playing Sybil... yowza.

More to come.

I absolutely loved this show. It's so interesting to see how the rich/servants lived in that time and what used to be offensive and introductions to progress as time goes on.

I'd watch that series again, I liked it so much.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots and Duke
I absolutely loved this show. It's so interesting to see how the rich/servants lived in that time and what used to be offensive and introductions to progress as time goes on.

I'd watch that series again, I liked it so much.

It really is. Initially I was totally offput by it. But to hear the characters talk about their 'life of service' and how it looks to them, and how important it was to them, it's still kind of exploitative but any of those involved viewed it as a purpose in life. (well, many of them did. )

So, as I watched more, I thought about that less, and got more into the characters and the story.

I still have a LOT to watch. Just started season 2.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL
It really is. Initially I was totally offput by it. But to hear the characters talk about their 'life of service' and how it looks to them, and how important it was to them, it's still kind of exploitative but any of those involved viewed it as a purpose in life. (well, many of them did. )

So, as I watched more, I thought about that less, and got more into the characters and the story.

I still have a LOT to watch. Just started season 2.
Yay! Gosh, so cool you're into it. Most people are like, "meh, that is the most boring concept for a show" not even giving it a chance.

It's not edge of your seat action, but the writing and the casting for the show are en pointe. I got so close to the characters that it would hurt when something bad would happen. Amazing job they did.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots and Duke
The other crazy thing.

This guy

is this guy

leg22.png

Yay! Gosh, so cool you're into it. Most people are like, "meh, that is the most boring concept for a show" not even giving it a chance.

It's not edge of your seat action, but the writing and the casting for the show are en pointe. I got so close to the characters that it would hurt when something bad would happen. Amazing job they did.

Yeah, I'm officially hooked. I didn't think I would be but it's so well done.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL
So, totally was not on Team Mary, but she changed, drastically, after the 'Pamook' issue.

Her and Matthews story have me totally shipping them. I'm now Team Mary.
She just gets better and better.

Carson is another character that I didn't think I'd fall in love with either. He's so prim and proper, but his heart is always in the right place even though he's a little bitch at times. He's another favorite character of mine.

• Gravy
Reactions: Duke
Isnt this like a soap-opera kind of thing?
For women?
It's not a soap opera, but a drama time-piece series that tries to relate to the times as much as possible.

They took it so seriously and so did the fans that for one photo shoot, someone left a plastic water bottle in frame that the internet lost their shit over. :lol:

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots