Download away, bitches!

The perception is that there is much more power and originality in media than there really is. We go where the money is. If you show us there's money somewhere else, we will go. If you show us there's nothing but theft and loss somewhere, we won't do that. Its really quite a simple mindset. Once you accept that and realize you have the power to lead them by the nose to where ever you want to go ...

As long as we continue paying outrageous markups? :p

i buy albums still.

i also burn music to the hard drive to mix.

i was reared in a DJ era when you had to go BUY music to spin it. shit's all twisted now (vodka sets in). any fuck with a HD or a burner thinks they're a DJ.

what do you do Theac? i'm curious now. for some reason I thought tech support (or some IT shit) at CNN. 'scuse me if I"m wrong. You're in the music biz??!!
I was for about 10 years. I worked in radio, recording studios, and live venues. Lots of fun, but long hours for little pay. Now, my official title is Transmission Compression Engineer : IP Transport and IPTV. That's a fancy way of saying I make TV go on the Internet and other advanced video distribution projects.
As long as we continue paying outrageous markups? :p
No, as I said, find a model you like and support that. If you dig what NIN has done recently with direct downloading, please buy their stuff to show your support. If you dig the subscription download model with no DRM, I'd suggest getting an Emusic account. Amazon has been fantastic with their MP3 download service lately. I agree that a contract goes both ways. Find something that makes you happy as well. Don't enter into contracts/purchases where you don't like the terms.

I guess more simply : use positive reinforcement to get what you want instead of negative reinforcement.

And I will say that being on the inside and BEGGING the exec's to do away with the DRM and try alternative models, you aren't making my job (or people like me) any easier. They're old and scared and every time some jackass in Risk Management shows them the piracy numbers, they just about stroke out. Trust me, there are plenty of savvy people here who know what you want and think they know ways to give it to you and still make money, but you have to meet us half way. Stop stealing AND start supporting business models you do like. Once the RM and Marketing turds see the trend, we'll get the green light to move forward with cool stuff. Until then, you're just a bunch of common criminals to them, so why should they spend time, money, and effort to do anything for you? Get it?

But I do support the ones I do like, as stated earlier. I steal the ones I wouldn't buy normally but might get me interested in the band. I dont even know why I am debating it, I rarely download music and the last band I downloaded, I will be getting for christmas from my brother. "I" didnt buy it but it lead to a purchase.

No, as I said, find a model you like and support that. If you dig what NIN has done recently with direct downloading, please buy their stuff to show your support. If you dig the subscription download model with no DRM, I'd suggest getting an Emusic account. Amazon has been fantastic with their MP3 download service lately. I agree that a contract goes both ways. Find something that makes you happy as well. Don't enter into contracts/purchases where you don't like the terms.

I guess more simply : use positive reinforcement to get what you want instead of negative reinforcement.

I was kidding, I got your point ;)

i buy albums still.

i also burn music to the hard drive to mix.

i was reared in a DJ era when you had to go BUY music to spin it. shit's all twisted now (vodka sets in). any fuck with a HD or a burner thinks they're a DJ.

what do you do Theac? i'm curious now. for some reason I thought tech support (or some IT shit) at CNN. 'scuse me if I"m wrong. You're in the music biz??!!

Does it annoy the fuck out of you when someone asks if they can "spin" some tunes?

Like they have turntables or some shit.

48d892c6497e00d0034572393e24a50a.gif

I take it you never have nor will you ever complain about gas prices?

No, I haven't. I've purposely taken public transit, driven a more efficient car, and minimized travel on purpose for something I figured out long before gas was $4+ a gallon; we are oil's bitches. I'm glad it went that high because maybe it woke some other people up to that.

Just one thing Scott, it is not stealing. The legal definition of theft is:

Theft Act 1978
(1) A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and 'thief' and 'steal' shall be construed accordingly.

There is no intent to permanently deprive and in fact you are not depriving anybody of anything, if you borrow a CD and copy it the CD is still there, the person you borrowed from still gets it back. Hence why they make copyright laws, because it is not stealing.

Very basic law.

And I like the idea that Radiohead did, where you can download the album and then pay money if you like it. I don't really pay for music, for one thing (that I think nobody else has pointed out) the money you spend goes to the music industry, not to the artist. Artists get money from tours, which I do go to, after downloading their music.