Download away, bitches!

It's a conspiracy. Once they stop with the lawsuits, album sales will go down due to the recession, but the RIAA will claim that their lawsuits make people buy music instead of stealing it, and start them back up once they have some semblance of what they would consider proof.

Fixt for both sides

What? If you don't like it, don't buy it. Its really that simple. If someone was selling milk for $200 a gallon, that doesn't give you the right to steal it from the store because you want milk.

Adjusted for inflation, music is cheaper now than its ever been and its certainly more accessible and higher quality (sound wise). With the exception of some download services *cough* Apple *cough* and their shitty DRM, explain to me exactly how you're being "ripped off".

What? If you don't like it, don't buy it. Its really that simple. If someone was selling milk for $200 a gallon, that doesn't give you the right to steal it from the store because you want milk.
"the right" no... but I would.

Adjusted for inflation, music is cheaper now than its ever been and its certainly more accessible and higher quality (sound wise). With the exception of some download services *cough* Apple *cough* and their shitty DRM, explain to me exactly how you're being "ripped off".

When something cost's a penny to make and they are selling the product for 20 to 40 a pop, its ripping people off. I am not saying and never did say I have the "right" to steal it but if they charged something reasonable I would purchase it. Shit, I remember when punk bands would print the cost of the cd on the actual cover and have a disclaimer on it "If you are being charged more than $6.99 for this album, put it back or steal it!!!"

When something cost's a penny to make and they are selling the product for 20 to 40 a pop, its ripping people off. I am not saying and never did say I have the "right" to steal it but if they charged something reasonable I would purchase it. Shit, I remember when punk bands would print the cost of the cd on the actual cover and have a disclaimer on it "If you are being charged more than $6.99 for this album, put it back or steal it!!!"
Just because it costs pennies to press to plastic doesn't mean it doesn't cost more to bring that product to market. You also completely glaze over the fact that adjusted for inflation, music costs the same or less now than it ever has. You have more convenience, more options, and higher quality than ever.

If you don't like the price someone is charging for an album, you're not being ripped off, the seller is just being an asshole. If enough people convey this message by not buying, the seller will change the price/business model or simply vanish. By stealing, you aren't changing their minds, you're making them victims.

Downloading music in the cold AC
I fought the law and I won (twice)
I needed music cause I had none
I fought the law and I won

Robbin the rich with a 6MB-down
I won my down and I won my up

Seriously though, I still purchase music if it is worth it or a new band. I see nothing wrong with obtaining free music for your own enjoyment. People will always buy originals and if they dont, you need to find a new marketing strategy.

Just because it costs pennies to press to plastic doesn't mean it doesn't cost more to bring that product to market. You also completely glaze over the fact that adjusted for inflation, music costs the same or less now than it ever has. You have more convenience, more options, and higher quality than ever.

If you don't like the price someone is charging for an album, you're not being ripped off, the seller is just being an asshole. If enough people convey this message by not buying, the seller will change the price/business model or simply vanish. By stealing, you aren't changing their minds, you're making them victims.

I know this is a HUGE thing for you and from what I can tell we are getting along nicely these days so I will do my best not to sound like a douche. Yes, you are right it is stealing and music is the same price. I dont know the facts but you are a big AV guy so I will trust that as truth. I just feel that if the industry wants to stop it(never happen completely), they should start thinking of a way to market the product better or lower the prices.

An example if they were marketing the product to me...

If Tool came out with an album next week, I would gladly pay $25 for it because the album art+music combined is worth it. I mainly got tired of paying $20 for a cd that has 2 good song, 13 fillers and a leaf insert listing the production company, at most worth $10... which I would pay for it.

Doesn't make it right on either side in my eyes. Sure worse for me because I am stealing but I really dont mind stealing from what I see as a rip off, you call it asshole, company.

I know this is a HUGE thing for you and from what I can tell we are getting along nicely these days so I will do my best not to sound like a douche. Yes, you are right it is stealing and music is the same price. I dont know the facts but you are a big AV guy so I will trust that as truth. I just feel that if the industry wants to stop it(never happen completely), they should start thinking of a way to market the product better or lower the prices.

An example if they were marketing the product to me...

If Tool came out with an album next week, I would gladly pay $25 for it because the album art+music combined is worth it. I mainly got tired of paying $20 for a cd that has 2 good song, 13 fillers and a leaf insert listing the production company, at most worth $10... which I would pay for it.

Doesn't make it right on either side in my eyes. Sure worse for me because I am stealing but I really dont mind stealing from what I see as a rip off, you call it asshole, company.
And I will say that being on the inside and BEGGING the exec's to do away with the DRM and try alternative models, you aren't making my job (or people like me) any easier. They're old and scared and every time some jackass in Risk Management shows them the piracy numbers, they just about stroke out. Trust me, there are plenty of savvy people here who know what you want and think they know ways to give it to you and still make money, but you have to meet us half way. Stop stealing AND start supporting business models you do like. Once the RM and Marketing turds see the trend, we'll get the green light to move forward with cool stuff. Until then, you're just a bunch of common criminals to them, so why should they spend time, money, and effort to do anything for you? Get it?

I downloaded about 5000 sons from kazaa back in the day. God I miss that. Now I hit up Amazon and iTunes. Some of the fucking albums iTunes posts are incomplete. What's up with that? I've read countless reviews that say things like "Buy this album in the store so you get tracks 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14." wtf

It's not them, it's us. Got it.

The perception is that there is much more power and originality in media than there really is. We go where the money is. If you show us there's money somewhere else, we will go. If you show us there's nothing but theft and loss somewhere, we won't do that. Its really quite a simple mindset. Once you accept that and realize you have the power to lead them by the nose to where ever you want to go ...

I downloaded about 5000 sons from kazaa back in the day. God I miss that. Now I hit up Amazon and iTunes. Some of the fucking albums iTunes posts are incomplete. What's up with that? I've read countless reviews that say things like "Buy this album in the store so you get tracks 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14." wtf

iTunes allows the publisher to do their own ripping and uploading. Apple really only hosts and runs the transactions. If an album's encoding sucks or its incomplete, its the publisher's fault. Amazon, I'm not sure, but I think they rip all the content themselves.

i buy albums still.

i also burn music to the hard drive to mix.

i was reared in a DJ era when you had to go BUY music to spin it. shit's all twisted now (vodka sets in). any fuck with a HD or a burner thinks they're a DJ.

what do you do Theac? i'm curious now. for some reason I thought tech support (or some IT shit) at CNN. 'scuse me if I"m wrong. You're in the music biz??!!