DoubleJ Jr. shoots bambi

DoubleJ

Half-staff Member
Oct 30, 2008
Shelton, WA
Marklar
₥0
Litterally. I mis-judged the size of the deer and he ended up shooting a fawn that was born this year. watched for awhile and mom was nowhere around and he had shed his spots. Got his deer but I was horrified. Bad day hunting :(

Litterally. I mis-judged the size of the deer and he ended up shooting a fawn that was born this year. watched for awhile and mom was nowhere around and he had shed his spots. Got his deer but I was horrified. Bad day hunting :(

I HOPE YOU DE-CLAWED HIM TO PROTECT THE FURNITURE.

So what's the protocol for this sort of situation? The animal is already dead, so do you get to enjoy the venison equivalent of veal? I mean, you probably even made it suffer. That adds to the flavor, right?

I want to go hunting really badly.

Edit: how old is your kid? What did he shoot it with?

Have you ever eaten fawn before?

Please report back and tell us if it's even more delicious like other baby animals are.

Last edited:
This kid is 10. Shot with a .308. Fawn did not suffer, was dead instantly. Perfect heart shot. His shot placement in the past has been suspect and we worked on it all summer. It was an "Antlerless" hunt and fawns don't have antlers. Perfectly legal. cleaned, tagged, and processed like any other deer. I have never eaten fawn. When I do, I will report back. Probably way more tender than an adult but, only 21lbs of meat. Oh, and the completely shitty feeling I have still a week later.

IMAG0008.jpg

No. I was the piece of shit who told him to shoot that one. I mis-judged it's size based on it's surroundings and the fact that it's mom never showed up in the time we were watching him

Wessels shot a wild Boar that had a decent size unborn litter inside.

There are pics... I'll have to find them.