Advice Don't forget to change the batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors today

except for canada which requires a ULC mark :wtf: (same co as UL though)

they kill themselves in america and they're done. point is, i don't see it happening.
UL/ULC are the exact same tests, different set of paperwork, at least for electronic devices that plug into the wall. We get them at the same time and I consider them the same thing.

Getting a bunch of stuff ready now for FCC/industry canada/CE electromagnetic interference testing. Good times...

UL/ULC are the exact same tests, different set of paperwork, at least for electronic devices that plug into the wall. We get them at the same time and I consider them the same thing.

Getting a bunch of stuff ready now for FCC/industry canada/CE electromagnetic interference testing. Good times...

you ever been to one of the big facilities that throws 300k-1.5M kv at a device? through the air. The infrastructure for that is ridiculous, and kind of scary.

I had to once get something through helicopter backwash testing, which produces between 100-300kv, airborne. The device had to keep functioning in that environment. Half the weight of the thing, which was weight sensitive i might add was 5oz copper ground planes to attenuate all that.

It still failed :( it kept functioning, but the LCD on it couldnt take it.

you ever been to one of the big facilities that throws 300k-1.5M kv at a device? through the air. The infrastructure for that is ridiculous, and kind of scary.

Went to a testing facility last year with the car to find out what the various moment centers were. While we were there they gave us a tour. In one enormous room they tested fragrant candles for flame related issues.
One dude had a pretty severe respiratory reaction to it. He hadn't had an asthma attack in something like 6 or 7 years.

I had to once get something through helicopter backwash testing, which produces between 100-300kv, airborne. The device had to keep functioning in that environment. Half the weight of the thing, which was weight sensitive i might add was 5oz copper ground planes to attenuate all that.

It still failed :( it kept functioning, but the LCD on it couldnt take it.
I was looking forward to doing that testing, but the device I was testing never made it past IA testing. When it combined CBRN sensor output with location and time, the output became classified, and so the device itself became a controlled item. Not a great thing for a device that was intended to be camped out remotely with various CBRN point detectors. Instead of copper ground plates, it had a big aluminum base that acted as both heat sink and ground plane.

PM came up with some stupid surveillance scheme that would have never worked (I think it was cameras pointed at every one of them, where USAF CONOPS had like 150-200 of them per post). I think they're still trying to hock that shit, 10 years later. Also, it ran Windows CE, and some readily exploitable IIS, that I used at an industry conference to knock their demonstration setup over on its face.

all those ground planes tied back to the aluminum case, i was getting weird fuckin charging effects within the traces when it was normal weight ground planes. Tin whiskers were growing at like triple the expected rate, and some of the larger traces resistances went through roof :(

Throwing that kind of power through the air does strange things.