Don't be a fg, Defrag.

CletusJones

CUCKGBLR
Oct 15, 2004
Marklar
₥3,602
So, I had this PC come to me last week that I did nothing with until today... There was a problem where it wouldn't launch our main transaction processing application... yadda yadda... I was getting all sorts of TCP/IP errors and everything, fucking users playing with stuff... In the network setup it listed 4 network cards and 4 sets of every protocol you can think of, which is odd as we only use TCP/IP and IPX/SPX (for Novell) on our internal network here. Hmmm.... After removing and reinstalling the network drivers and protocols and Novell client all works perfectly now.

With all this being done, I decided to check and see what shape the drive was in because this is quite possibly the slowest computer I've worked on since 1995. I didn't think to take this screencap until after I had already done the scandisk, but the date last performed was the same as the one indicated for defrag.

Ouch. 4.4 years is quite a long time, yes?

defrag.jpg

BigDov said:
butthead :)

edit- not you
the sad thing is that one of our best help desk techs couldn't get the thing fixed. It took me about an hour, and I'm not even in the help desk. I'm just a lowly programmer.

fly said:
We use some legacy applications related to our mainframe that require it. This building is the only one that still runs IPX/SPX. If we didn't have to use these applications we'd have gone all IP long ago.

CletusJones said:
that may be alright for NTFS, but this is a Win98 machine running a FAT32 drive, those you still need to defrag pretty regularly, IMO.
it's not even alright for NTFS. I download alot of..... quality materials on the net, and with all the downloading and deleting, my win2k ntfs drive was completely fragmented. after defragging everything it worked so much faster and the bootup time of 4 minutes dropped to half. :)

I don't have enough space on any of my drives to defrag :( (shifting 160 gigs back and forth with 2 gigs left just doesn't seem like a good idea.)

I Robert I said:
I don't have enough space on any of my drives to defrag :( (shifting 160 gigs back and forth with 2 gigs left just doesn't seem like a good idea.)
Looks like it's time to buy more storage...

Yeah, that's a pretty long time.

There are three computers in my house that have at least one partition formatted as FAT32, belonging to various family members, and none of them ever get a defrag done unless I do it.

I Robert I said:
wtf do you have on there? What is wrong with me? I have 2 40GB drives and barely 20GB of data between them.

DW said:
Yeah, that's a pretty long time.

There are three computers in my house that have at least one partition formatted as FAT32, belonging to various family members, and none of them ever get a defrag done unless I do it.

Erk, not to mention the last time mine was defragged was when you did it :egads:

ChikkenNoodul said:
I don't think I've defragged anything in 5 years or more

I don't think I've thought it was THAT necessary to defrag ever. Something goes wrong bad enough I'll just reformat for a clean slate.