Do you know how to crimp a CAT5 cable?

Could you crimp a Cat5 cable? (Color cheat sheet allowed!)

• Total voters

Fat Burger

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
Portland, OR
www.heartboxers.com
Marklar
₥0
So the "LAN Administrator III" here where I work is someone with some 10 or so years of network admin experience. This should mean he knows how to do practically anything that needs doing. Today he asked me to go pick up four crossover cables for him. No problem, except that the local shop only had 2, in bright colors.

Him: I really wish we had two more, or at least in more subtle colors.
Me: We have dozens of regular blue Cat5 cables, just recrimp a couple as crossover.
Him: Well, I'm not sure it's worth the effort.
Me: It takes like 5 minutes.
Him: I could also go buy some adapters.
Me: ...

So my suspicion is that he's never crimped a Cat5 cable before, which is rather like a mechanic not knowing how to change oil, or a hockey player not knowing how to skate, or a poker player trying to win a tournament with 7-3 offsuit, or...well, you get the point.

Anyway, it inspired the above poll out of curiosity. Enjoy!

light orange, orange, light green, blue, light blue, green, light brown, brown, and that little fuzzy thingie that always sticks out

I've been in IT for almost 10 years and hell if I'm crimping cables...let some A+ chump do that shite :p
I've done it before...successfully I might add...just don't care to...all you have to do is find a good cable and copy

FlyNavy said:
light orange, orange, light green, blue, light blue, green, light brown, brown, and that little fuzzy thingie that always sticks out

That's the B standard and the one I know. I can't remember how the A standard goes.

Well technically...you could just make sure all the wires line up the same at both ends...