Do you guys budget for OTHER people's weddings and events?

My dad offered me $5000.00 to elope. It would have saved him about $15,000.00. I think he was proud to give me away at a real wedding though. It was beautiful and fun and I wouldn't trade that day and those memories for anything. It's the last time my whole family and all my friends were together like that. My family really knows how to throw a good party and having my friends officiate the ceremony was awesome too. It really meant something to stand there in front of everyone I know and promise myself and my life to Dan. I think just eloping wouldn't have meant as much because it takes the support of all your friends and family to make it through life and marriage, and when they are there for the marriage they take a vow to help you with it. It's kinda like establishing a community around the bond of two people. Eloping to me seems like sneaking off to wed and not wanting anyone to be a part of it or believing you don't have support in it. I couldn't have done it without my family.

Eloping to me seems like sneaking off to wed and not wanting anyone to be a part of it or believing you don't have support in it.

That may be true for some but I would want to Elope because of several reasons:

I feel that a big wedding is a waste of money.
I hate getting up in front of people and speaking.
I feel that its a private thing.