digital media players

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
Marklar
₥10
Does anybody out there use a digital media player? I'm just curious what models people have and what their likes and dislikes are. I'm in the market for one and would love to hear your suggestions.

My primary function will be to use it to play mp3s in my car through a cassette adapter. Most of my mp3s will be ripped from cds that I own or mp3s that I already have ripped to my hard drive from back in the day.

I'm hoping to keep the cost at or below $125 but would be willing to go more expensive if there are features that would be worth having for that price.

I've halfway looked at the Zune, various IPODs, and the SanDisk Sansa 200 series. Still inconclusive.

Your thoughts?

I have a zune and its awesome.
You can get the zune 1 real cheap now if you look around a bit (around 85$) , since the zune2 is due tomorrow. There will also be a firmware upgrade for the zune 1 to give it all the same features as the zune 2.
I use mine the same way you do , too. But I use one of the radio transmitter things to listen to it in my truck.

Woot has a deal on the Zune today IIRC.

Saw that, it's a refurb though...

I'm not totally sold on the Zune idea though, i've heard a lot of negative comments about their online store, software, and the way the device interfaces with a PC.

I have a zune and its awesome.
You can get the zune 1 real cheap now if you look around a bit (around 85$) , since the zune2 is due tomorrow. There will also be a firmware upgrade for the zune 1 to give it all the same features as the zune 2.
I use mine the same way you do , too. But I use one of the radio transmitter things to listen to it in my truck.

cool, any issues with hooking it up to your PC or transferring files to or from it? I've seen reviews on other sites that claimed this but i never know if it's the device's fault or just stupid people.

cool, any issues with hooking it up to your PC or transferring files to or from it? I've seen reviews on other sites that claimed this but i never know if it's the device's fault or just stupid people.

Uh, no problems for me...maybe theyre bitching that you have to use the zune software to put songs on it (kinda like how you have to use itunes to put songs on an ipod). I only fire it up tho if Im putting songs on it. You can plug it in to the pc just to charge it without starting the marketplace software.

My favorite thing it does is display the album art as it plays songs. It was kind of a pain in the ass to get all the id3 tags correct and all the album art right. I have some better software to sort that out if it matters to you.

my crackberry will do all that but I have never gotten around to using it for such

in theory my treo could too...but i'd kill myself if i was driving and trying to use a treo as a music player. the ipod/zune interface seems that it would be a bit easier to do 1 handed while going 80mph down the highway in my buick :fly:

I have a Zune, I would like to upgrade to an 80gb Zune but that has to wait for now. I used to have an Ipod and I definately prefer the Zune, my only gripe is that the shuffle doesn't really shuffle. I use shuffle M-F at work all day and i will hear the same songs in the same order.

For the gym I have a Zen stone 1GB, it was 30 bucks at Walmart, perfect sized drag and drop software. I dig it.

I have a Zune, I would like to upgrade to an 80gb Zune but that has to wait for now. I used to have an Ipod and I definately prefer the Zune, my only gripe is that the shuffle doesn't really shuffle. I use shuffle M-F at work all day and i will hear the same songs in the same order.

For the gym I have a Zen stone 1GB, it was 30 bucks at Walmart, perfect sized drag and drop software. I dig it.

I use the shuffle all the time and havent noticed that:confused:

I'm also having a hard time finding a player I like. I need one with more than 40gb of space. 80gb would be sweet. I'm not sure if I would use a video function very often, but that would be nice. Easily replaceable batteries would also be very nice. That's one gripe I have with the iPods. Nice players, but crappy that the batteries aren't easily replaceable, and you void your warranty by replacing the batteries.

My friend has an older Creative Nomad Zen 40gb. It has touch sensitive buttons, which are kind of annoying. I found scrolling through songs and menus very annoying. Was way too sensitive, even at the lowest setting.

I had to buy one separately. It was like ten bucks a frys.

yeah, cool. As long as it can take one; batteries piss me off. I'll be in Atlanta this weekend so I might drop by Fry's and see what kind of prices they have going on this stuff.