Digital Camera Help

A big misconception is how many megapixels you need. If you are planning on doing prints larger than a car you'll need 12+, but for 95% of users anything from the 6-10 range is more than perfect.

Uh, did anyone bother to point out the really obvious part where SLR means it uses a mirror so you see what the camera see instead of using an offset viewfinder. Not that most point and shoots dont have lcd viewfinders anymore, it used to be sorta important :p

Uh, did anyone bother to point out the really obvious part where SLR means it uses a mirror so you see what the camera see instead of using an offset viewfinder. Not that most point and shoots dont have lcd viewfinders anymore, it used to be sorta important :p

It's obvious, that's why. :p

Is it april? Is it? Have you ever had someone say, describe a computer problem to you? I think many things arent obvious. :p

I miss my DSLR, but I made the right choice in selling it. I'm just trying to figure out which Nikon I want to upgrade to. I might get that new G10 to hold me over :)

Lame I just recently bought a Nikon Coolpix camera but it has a digital zoom.

It still has non digital.

It zooms to a certain point. (The physical extent) then after that, you have the option to continue zooming in. The more you zoom in, the more pixelated the picture will look.

So the lower mega pixels with the non digital zoom is the way to go?

Play with the cameras. Lots of them look good on paper but are horrible in action. (My Olympus c8080 was nice, but took way too long to focus. Any shots with movement, were never crisp)

I miss my DSLR, but I made the right choice in selling it. I'm just trying to figure out which Nikon I want to upgrade to. I might get that new G10 to hold me over :)

I'm a Nikon sack rider, but the G10 for a point and shoot are nice. A bit bulky, but sweet nonetheless.

Overall? If so that totally depends since it seems to change every month. Canon and Nikon have been neck and neck for YEARS.

are you going to make prints? megapixels just help you make a larger print at 100% quality, right Kiwi? I've never had to make a print bigger than my 3.2 megapixel camera could handle, biggest i've ever gone was a 4"x6". I'm sure there is some table somewhere that shows megapixel to printsize.

Ok, i'll shut up and let the experts answer, i don't know what the hell i'm talking about.
Here's one with resolution size

http://www.webshots.com/html/res_guidelines_popup.html

Keep in mind even though you have a certain size megapixel camera, unless you choose to shoot at the largest size possible, your camera isn't even using all the megapixels it can.

I hope that made sense.

I can't say this with 100% certainty but I'm pretty sure all Nikon Coolpix cameras have optical zoom as well as digital zoom. The cameras that are digital only are usually super cheap and the lens never moves in or out.

Never use digital zooms. They aren't worth it. On a lot of cameras you have the ability to turn off the digital zoom. I highly suggest doing so immediately ;)

You can't say that one camera is better by tech specs only. You have to really check to see how fast the processors are when it comes to auto zooming and to see how quickly the camera responds after focus to actual capture of the image. If you have either the focus to slow or a lag time between focus and capture too slow you will prepetually miss the shot.

The other thing to check out is the color saturation. Kodak is horrible with oversaturation of reds and undersaturation of blue and green. Nikon is does that also with some of the blues and Canon lacks a tiny bit in the vibrant purples.

Lots of things to check out with cameras.

For those who want to learn photography I suggest a middle road camera. One that allows for manual settings with shutter and fstop as well as allowing for under and over exposures. I had one like that and I eventually graduated to my Canon DSLR.

I desperately need some new lenses because what I have is only adequate. It is not very good for low light situations with no flash. Stupid me should have checked out a camera store that was closing a long time ago.

Photography is my hobby. I'm not excellent, but I've been told I am really good.

1/3 of photography is the camera, 1/3 is the person taking the shot and the the last 1/3 is pure dumb luck (being in the right place at the right time)