Did you exist a universe ago?

elpmis said:
i'm a little lost I guess, are you [nev] suggesting that the universe has already once reached singularity (crunched)? I can't really agree with that since modern studies suggest that a universe collapse leaves remains smaller than a proton.

and all this talk about being alive in another universe - are you guys talking about perhaps a life similar to yours in another GALAXY? that's another topic - or perhaps another DIMENSION? that's another topic as well

none of which I care to discuss, nerds

Another dimension IS another topic, you're right :)

elpmis said:
i'm a little lost I guess, are you [nev] suggesting that the universe has already once reached singularity (crunched)? I can't really agree with that since modern studies suggest that a universe collapse leaves remains smaller than a proton.

and all this talk about being alive in another universe - are you guys talking about perhaps a life similar to yours in another GALAXY? that's another topic - or perhaps another DIMENSION? that's another topic as well

If the universe does in fact expand and contract, I don't see why it hasn't happened before, or maybe a thousand times before.

And no, we're not discussing other dimensions or galaxies. Just other universes that existed before this one, or after.

Forrest Dump said:
This is like the question, if you were riding with me in a car travelling at the speed of light, and I turned on the headlights, would you be scared to roll down the window if I farted?
My fear would be overcome by my survival instincts.

Pancake Wagon said:
If the universe does in fact expand and contract, I don't see why it hasn't happened before, or maybe a thousand times before.

And no, we're not discussing other dimensions or galaxies. Just other universes that existed before this one, or after.

If this really is the case, what makes you think it would repeat itself with exact precision?

Forrest Dumplin' said:
If this really is the case, what makes you think it would repeat itself with exact precision?

Interesting question- I'm sure if such a thing were happening with regularity, it couldn't possibly happen the same way twice, what with stars fizzling out, expanding galaxies, black holes, etc.

elpmis said:

Life before the "collapse."

Eat poop. :heart:

Edit: Didn't see there was another page. I pwnt myself.

Pancake Wagon said:

I guess then my opinion of it all is that there is and only ever was one universe (the current one we live in) - it was created roughly 10 billion year ago and we are currently midway through its expansion time (by now universe expansion speed has leveled out to a constant rate of growth) sooner or later the expansion rate will slow down to the point where it haults and then it will proceed to contract or crunch and in long ass time from now the universe will crunch to a size small enough to sleep inside an atom.

So to me, to ask whether or not this has all happened before, I guess it's possible, but since so much is unexplained sooner or later someone is going to say the word "God" and then, well you know, it's time for a beer

elpmis said:
I guess then my opinion of it all is that there is and only ever was one universe (the current one we live in) - it was created roughly 10 billion year ago and we are currently midway through its expansion time (by now universe expansion speed has leveled out to a constant rate of growth) sooner or later the expansion rate will slow down to the point where it haults and then it will proceed to contract or crunch and in long ass time from now the universe will crunch to a size small enough to sleep inside an atom.

So to me, to ask whether or not this has all happened before, I guess it's possible, but since so much is unexplained sooner or later someone is going to say the word "God" and then, well you know, it's time for a beer

And God said. "Is thing on? It is? Ahem. Let there be stuff!"
And behold there was stuff all over the place.

and I say "God" because after a universe collapses you basically have NOTHING to work with - something or someone has to create another Big Bang

Forrest Dump said:
no reason. But who's to say that it wouldn't? With all things the same, all factors and forces the same, why wouldn't it proceed the exact same way each time?

elpmis said:

We're all like one big sims game, and each collapse is just a reformat of the hard drive that is existence.

Pancake Wagon said:
no reason. But who's to say that it wouldn't? With all things the same, all factors and forces the same, why wouldn't it proceed the exact same way each time?

Nothing in nature repeats itself with exact precision.
Not even identical twins are truly identical.There will always be subtle differences , and on a universal scale those subtle differences will be built upon in a grand scale and in the end universe "a" will be nothing like universe "b".

elpmis said:
and I say "God" because after a universe collapses you basically have NOTHING to work with - something or someone has to create another Big Bang
Even modern science cannot explain the birth of the universe. Neither the how or the why, only the result.

Pancake Wagon said:
We're all like one big sims game, and each collapse is just a reformat of the hard drive that is existence.
but that's what I'm talking about - word on the street is that even the hard drive collapses

theoretically speaking you would have to start over again with nothing - just like the first time