Thread Did anyone ever have or use the 1st cell 90's style phones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starring_Emma

Flaccid Member
(╯︵╰,)
Mar 12, 2011
pacific north west
Marklar
₥0
How much did they suck?

Really%20Old%20CellPhone%20Held%20by%20guy%20other%20than%20Zach%20Morris.jpg

my grandfather actually had a cell phone in his car in the early 80's. the hardware was under the driver seat and about the size of a home AV receiver. the phone was mounted to a stand that looked like a pickup truck floor mounted stick shift. his work paid for it. he is/was quite frugal so he was cruising around in a K-car wagon with that hooked up in it which is pretty funny in retrospect.

my grandfather actually had a cell phone in his car in the early 80's. the hardware was under the driver seat and about the size of a home AV receiver. the phone was mounted to a stand that looked like a pickup truck floor mounted stick shift. his work paid for it. he is/was quite frugal so he was cruising around in a K-car wagon with that hooked up in it which is pretty funny in retrospect.

Didn't they cost like $1 per minute to use?

The phone pictured above is actually from the 80's ( Motorola 8500 I believe). I had one from 1988 till maybe 1991 which cost around £300 a month for calls.

Sorry, that wasn't very clear. The average monthly salary was probably about £700-£1000 a month after taxes. Mobile phones were only for the self-employed or seriously well paid.

Sorry, that wasn't very clear. The average monthly salary was probably about £700-£1000 a month after taxes. Mobile phones were only for the self-employed or seriously well paid.

Do you guys have this symbol on your keyboard, £? Ours is shift+4

$£$£$£
Shift4, shift3,shift4,shift3

mind every packard bell had a euro symbol for a while in the early 2000's?

currys was fucking coming down with them. now a trip to currys reveals so many bare shelving units it basically makes you depressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.