Detroit

Is there any good reason to allow vagrants to live in a house they don't pay for?

In my mind it depends entirely on who has ownership of the house. I'm opposed to squatting privately owned buildings, that's not what any decent person would do. Government housing should all be reclaimed though if disused and empty. I don't really see that there could be any argument against that.

In my mind it depends entirely on who has ownership of the house. I'm opposed to squatting privately owned buildings, that's not what any decent person would do. Government housing should all be reclaimed though if disused and empty. I don't really see that there could be any argument against that.
government housing? i think you're confusing Detroit with somewhere in Europe.

Squatters do have rights to private property too under certain circumstances, at least in Texas. Know what's going on with your property at all times, and evict anyone who shouldn't be there pronto.

no shit. there's a vacant house next door to me. what do i have to do to acquire it without paying money?

Squatters do have rights to private property too under certain circumstances, at least in Texas. Know what's going on with your property at all times, and evict anyone who shouldn't be there pronto.

I don't think that's true in many states. From the Americans I've met from the squatting scene there's no use even trying to squat in the states, that's why a hell of a lot of the Eurosquatters I've met are from America.

You just have to know how adverse possession works.

As a general rule in Texas, a conveyance of land must be in writing to be enforceable. However, one exception to this rule is the concept of "adverse possession," also known as limitation title or, more commonly, "squatter's rights."

We are all familiar with the adage that "Possession is 9/10 of the law." Adverse possession recognizes the reality that most landowners will act promptly to remove a trespasser from their property, and that if a person remains in possession of land long enough he may acquire ownership of that property.

Making a Case of Adverse Possession
The burden of establishing an adverse possession claim rests upon the claimant to prove (1) actual possession of the disputed property; (2) under a claim of right; (3) that it is consistently adverse or hostile to the claim of the owner for the required period of time. Depending on the circumstances, the required period of possession may be between three and twenty-five years.

It is not enough that the claimant was in actual possession. Rather, the claimant's possession must have been inconsistent with and hostile to the rights of the true owner, and of such a character as to indicate unmistakably an assertion of a claim of exclusive ownership in the claimant rather than the record owner. It naturally follows that a person who is in possession with the owner's permission (such as under a lease or a license) is not in adverse possession.

A person cannot acquire property by adverse possession from the State of Texas or a political subdivision of the state, such as counties, cities, navigation districts, municipal utility districts, and certain other entities.

Unless the claimant is fortunate enough to obtain voluntary releases or deeds from all other potential owners, a lawsuit is usually necessary in order to establish a claim of adverse possession. Such lawsuits tend to be very fact-intensive and difficult to litigate because the relevant events occur over a period of many years, and as a result important witnesses have often died or moved away.

Effect of Adverse Possession
Whether limitation title is perfected on a voluntary basis or by a final judgment, the successful claimant acquires full title the same as if such title had been conveyed by deed in writing from the record owner. Accordingly, a title based on limitation defeats all prior title held by anyone else, including the homestead rights held by prior owners, claims under tax deeds or prior judgments, and even liens held by the creditors of any prior owner.

See here if you gain entry without breaking anything, put a section 6 order on the front door then the owner either has to get you our legally through civil action within 30 days otherwise it's a very lengthly process. It differs in the European countries, in Germany, Holland and Spain the police just give you an eviction order and storm the building, the Dutch even have a special police force designed to break down barricades to gain entry. It can take well over 5 years for that to happen.

One of the squats in my city that my boyfriend helped to set up only just got evicted after 3 years or so.

I'm waiting for someone to start setting vacant homes on fire. Can they afford fire departments and police to cover the vacant areas?

I saw a townhome a few weeks ago. It was a foreclosed property. I walk into the living room and there is a huge black mark on the staircase.

The previous owners put a bag of trash under the stairs and set it on fire.

Badass. The only liens against the property are a couple hundy in mowing liens from the City. I'm going to get a window unit and file a change of address with the Post Office.

Three years is a long time though.