Depression

I've been through some horrible depression recently enough. I've also moved recently enough. Moving sucks. It's been 2 years and I'm finally starting to feel like Ohio is okay. I miss my friends and family horribly and go home every chance I get. The depression was completely different from the homesickness feeling. I wasn't completely unable to get out of bed every morning because I moved. I didn't stop eating because I moved. I didn't want to be dead because I moved.

I just felt alone and bored when I moved. It was also tough to get used to a conservative environment after living my whole life in a grossly liberal place. I wasn't sure if I'd ever meet people I'd like. Going to school will probably help a lot.

It sounds to me like there is nothing motivating you at the moment. Perhaps you can find some community organization to join. They are great ways to meet people. Check out the local Jaycees chapter, or if you are religiously motivated, try your church. Read the local paper and see if there are any newcomers clubs in your area.

i moved away from home/family/friends/college for two years. i thought i was depressed but when i moved back i realized it was just severe homesickness.

fairbanks was the first place i've ever lived in longer than two or three years, so i grew attached to my little town. my shitty little town. :p

work out

Push your body to its' limits and your mind will be too tired to focus on what's bothering you. Ignoring things isn't the best solution but when people get sick of listening to you whine about your problems it seems that's the easiest way to control it.

But you may want to see your doctor about a possible chemical imbalance.

it seems like these could just be growing pains. how can you be really happy if you do not know what it's like to be sad?
what i hear sounds completely normal and while not comfortable, nothing to worry about yet. look at the factors influencing you right now, including your age and this being the first time you've been out of familiar surroundings. this is just becoming comfortable with life again. it might take some time, but you seem to be the type that will transition ok. college will DEFINITELY help (and then you won't be able to believe that you actually felt so down.)
life for most people is set to do this to you. try to take something to heart from it down the road, and it will all be for the greater good of you. :heart:
meanwhile, like eileen said, find a way to burn some time. join an organization, find a new hobby or club, volunteer, travel, work...something. try to get something that will stimulate you and allow you to learn and grow. and we'll be here for you if you have a blah day or two and need to be blue. it happens. :heart:

Awww, Borracho... :( I'm sorry you're still feeling shitty, especially since I said before that you'd be fine once you moved :lol:.
However, I stand by that statement because it looks like it's something most people here (and everywhere else) have been through, and we all turned out ok. It's good that you realize you'll be fine once you get back to school, and, knowing that, I encourage you NOT to let someone put you on the drugs.
You're at one of the many stages in life where 'everything sucks'. I still guarantee you that the next few years will be wonderful for you. Of course once you're finished college if you don't have a real direction yet you'll get stuck in another rut... but you don't have to worry about that for a while!

I think you know you'll be fine, and even if this is a real depression, you'll get through it and enjoy your future happiness more if this part blows over without medication. Looking to the future can often help in situations like these. For instance, ask yourself - in six months, will how I feel right now matter at all?

sarelement said:
Awww, Borracho... :( I'm sorry you're still feeling shitty, especially since I said before that you'd be fine once you moved :lol:.
However, I stand by that statement because it looks like it's something most people here (and everywhere else) have been through, and we all turned out ok. It's good that you realize you'll be fine once you get back to school, and, knowing that, I encourage you NOT to let someone put you on the drugs.
You're at one of the many stages in life where 'everything sucks'. I still guarantee you that the next few years will be wonderful for you. Of course once you're finished college if you don't have a real direction yet you'll get stuck in another rut... but you don't have to worry about that for a while!

I think you know you'll be fine, and even if this is a real depression, you'll get through it and enjoy your future happiness more if this part blows over without medication. Looking to the future can often help in situations like these. For instance, ask yourself - in six months, will how I feel right now matter at all?

yeah, i know i'll be fine in the long run and i've got no interest in taking any sort of medication, i just need something to get me by. I'm going to go and get a membership at a gym, the job hunt is complete shit right now. :mad:

if i get anything out of not having something to do, it's going to be a glorious set of abs.

i guaranteed someone that her life couldn't get any worse, and then her father died. she looked straight at me and said, "you said it couldn't get any worse." made my bones bleed, it hurt so bad. i'll never make that mistake again. :(

Thorn Bird said:
i guaranteed someone that her life couldn't get any worse, and then her father died. she looked straight at me and said, "you said it couldn't get any worse." made my bones bleed, it hurt so bad. i'll never make that mistake again. :(
I'd have taken serious offence to that. You don't blame anyone else for shit like that happening.

As for your depression, from a medical point of view, you need a kick up the hole.

eileenbunny said:
That's the wonderful thing about life though. No matter how bad it gets, you can always look around and find someone who's got it worse than you. I wonder who the person with the worst life is. Poor bastard.
nev

Galen said:
I'd have taken serious offence to that. You don't blame anyone else for shit like that happening.

she was in shock and grieving. i know she didn't mean it. doesn't mean i didn't feel the pang, even when i knew it was said out of disbelief and pain. she said it soooo nonchalantly. it was stunning.

I have been pretty down all this year. By the third month I had lost 3 friends that I had known for quite awhile and my best friend Pat. Then my grandpa got stomach cancer and is now after surgery that looked like it worked is slowy fading away. My best advice though is to talk about it as you are now, it is the healthiest way to deal with stress/depression IMO. I still cant openly talk about Pat's death to much but I can get a little out and it helps each time. Cheer up cause things will get better as long as you will them to. You will be suprised how much things change when you at least "try" to put a positive foot forward ;-)