Thread Depression: By the numbers...

I would go as far as to say that bank lending didn't get us in this mess. It's the proprietary trading using those deposits that gets them in hot water.

Creating money on paper that didn't actually existed in the real world. By the nature of them all ponzi schemes eventually fail.

Last edited:
Too big to fail was a concept created by people whose companies were about to fail.

It's a conspiracy involving credit defaults swaps, whereby smart and afflicted institutions poisoned all the others. When the assets on each banks balance sheet depend on the performance of the others, that is too big to fail.

Banks are hard to regulate because they innovate in the securities market to create obscure instruments to bet with. Regulations will probably always be a step behind, because regulation is enacted in response to failures, never ahead of them. If regulation was innovative and proactive Wall Street would call the regulations overbearing causing investor angst with the government. Regulatory agencies also don't attract the brightest folks, since that's not where the money is.

I would go as far as to say that bank lending didn't get us in this mess. It's the proprietary trading using those deposits that gets them in hot water.
You answered yourself :p When you are implicitly guaranteed you don't have to take on the actual risk involved in 'obscure' investments. If they bore the full cost of risk it wouldn't be advisable to overextend themselves unless they were institutionally suicidal.

You answered yourself :p When you are implicitly guaranteed you don't have to take on the actual risk involved in 'obscure' investments. If they bore the full cost of risk it wouldn't be advisable to overextend themselves unless they were institutionally suicidal.

But few of them understood the risk -- I reckon those were the sellers. Certainly the buyers of the toxic assets didn't know. :fly:

And by banking, I mean lending. Not trading. Banks have no business trading, imo.
Depends on if you mean investment banks or retail banks. Market making is how they do business which by definition involves buying and selling.

People say banking, I think investment banking. I've always been pro-credit union for personal stuff :p