WTF Denying jobs to people out of work.

I've been talking with him. He really has been in seriously bad shape. I'm going to visit him tomorrow and will talk with him more about it. He has no insurance because they kept his hours 1 hour below full time to avoid giving him full benefits.

He's still trying to get on disability. The dialysis place says typically once you start treatment you go on disability but they keep giving him trouble saying his condition is treatable. Um, treatable with dialysis 3 times a week, a ton of meds everyday, is going to be sent home with an oxygen tank, and most of the time is so weak he can barely get around with a walker.

When I took him in the other day his blood pressure was super high so they order him some meds to lower it but forgot to give them to him. They ended up giving them to him right before dialysis and during the process he his vitals crashed and he almost died. His doctor was super pissed and tore into his nurse in front of him asking if she was actually trying to kill him. He called me earlier asking me to help him escape before they kill him. I said no.

So what I read from this, he still hasn't gone past local management regarding this?

When I was hiring people for my company, I wouldn't consider people that had been out of work for more than 2 months, if they also had a jumpy work history. I cannot speak to current hiring standards; however, I would assume that given the current unemployment crisis that someone being unemployed wouldn't disqualify them from a position.

what I find to be a shame is that the pool of candidates is flooded with quality potential employees and these corporations know that, so the eff you over with lower pay or lower benefits simply because they can.

i was actually thinking of social security disability, but workers comp is also a good avenue. frankly, i don't know much about this at all.

He might also be able to get SS, but he may have to repay SS if he starts getting workers comp.

Bottom line is, he really needs a lawyer who will take a cut from the check and not need money up front, they are out there, and they're not all shysters.

Well, if he had a good lawyer they could argue that the working conditions caused his illness to worsen, and today still contribute to making it worse.

That would be, as Jonny suggested, workers comp, those cases can drag on forever though (The insurance company will bet that he is going to die soon and won't settle) but he should be able to get a weekly check at least.

Some, even good, attorneys will fight those cases and take a reasonable percentage from the checks as payment in the hopes that they can eventually get a big settlement.

Good lawyers are expensive. He said he's talked with HR and his union about all of this. I may help him follow up to make sure he's done it right. He's been foggy headed for a while and his eyes have been damaged due to the health problems too. I asked him not to sign any paperwork without me or two other friends read it first.

It's not like he wants a big paycheck for nothing. He just wants a little help covering the crazy amount of doctor bills he has and help to eat and have a place to live until he gets well enough to start doing some other type of work. I think he should be able to start getting disability soon in large part because the dialysis place will help make it happen so they get paid. Every treatment is several thousand dollars and he's going 3 times a week.

When I was hiring people for my company, I wouldn't consider people that had been out of work for more than 2 months, if they also had a jumpy work history. I cannot speak to current hiring standards; however, I would assume that given the current unemployment crisis that someone being unemployed wouldn't disqualify them from a position.

what I find to be a shame is that the pool of candidates is flooded with quality potential employees and these corporations know that, so the eff you over with lower pay or lower benefits simply because they can.

Oh hell yeah. Also a lot of companies act like they can treat you like crap because they know you don't want to be trying to hunt for a job.

Good lawyers are expensive. He said he's talked with HR and his union about all of this. I may help him follow up to make sure he's done it right. He's been foggy headed for a while and his eyes have been damaged due to the health problems too. I asked him not to sign any paperwork without me or two other friends read it first.

It's not like he wants a big paycheck for nothing. He just wants a little help covering the crazy amount of doctor bills he has and help to eat and have a place to live until he gets well enough to start doing some other type of work. I think he should be able to start getting disability soon in large part because the dialysis place will help make it happen so they get paid. Every treatment is several thousand dollars and he's going 3 times a week.
Yes, they are expensive, but I know of a VERY low-income family that survives on the weekly workers comp checks that the lawyers got for them, and they didn't have to put up any money up front.

When I've hired people, I've only cared about their abilities to perform the job.

When I need a guy to program, I ask myself, "Can he program?". If he can then he's got my vote.

I wish more places thought like that but they don't.

This is why I'm dreading working in the US private sector. I know I can find a job, it's just that I know the US job will be a lot shittier than I have it here at the Embassy. Less vacation, more expensive benefits, probably a lower salary also, and Americans seem to be very anal about their work hours. Must be in by 8, can't leave until 5, must only spend 30 minutes for your lunch break.

Ugh. I really don't want to work at a place like that.

When I've hired people, I've only cared about their abilities to perform the job.

When I need a guy to program, I ask myself, "Can he program?". If he can then he's got my vote.

Not only should he be able to do his job, but as a manger, you have to take into account his personality to see if he fits your team's personality as well. Other than that, I agree with you.

This is why I'm dreading working in the US private sector. I know I can find a job, it's just that I know the US job will be a lot shittier than I have it here at the Embassy. Less vacation, more expensive benefits, probably a lower salary also, and Americans seem to be very anal about their work hours. Must be in by 8, can't leave until 5, must only spend 30 minutes for your lunch break.

Most private sector jobs that are white collar give you an hour for lunch. And to be honest, other than showing up at 8, and at least staying till 5, they aren't that picky. People take 1.5 hour long lunches all the time, people leave for Dr. appointments, etc. As long as you do your job, they don't care that much.

That's why I like working for a private university. It's a lot more laid back most of the time. Plus even though th economy has been bad we've only grown.

Long time ago I did some contracting for defense contractors and they were the largest bunch of thieves and liars.

Not only should he be able to do his job, but as a manger, you have to take into account his personality to see if he fits your team's personality as well. Other than that, I agree with you.

We don't work that way.. Or at least I haven't seen it around here, nor at any job I've worked at in Australia. We understand people have different personalities, therefor we are very tolerant of one another.

We really only care about getting the job done.

Most private sector jobs that are white collar give you an hour for lunch. And to be honest, other than showing up at 8, and at least staying till 5, they aren't that picky. People take 1.5 hour long lunches all the time, people leave for Dr. appointments, etc. As long as you do your job, they don't care that much.

These days.. I come and go as I please. Over half my job can be done at home via citrix client. I have flex time which means I can work whatever hours I want, as long I make up for it later. Some days I may only work from 8am until 11:30am, then I may work 8 until 9pm the next day.

I'm really going to be looking towards small companies. 10 - 20 employees. Really do not want to work for corporate companies..