Ontopic Denver School senior claims unfair censorship on yearbook photo

Actually, yeah it is.

No, it's an editorial decision. Using your rationale every time a publication refuses to print something submitted to them it's censorship. She is not being kept from communicating said image in general, just the yearbook (a singular publication) won't publish her chosen photo.

Last edited:
Yes because not wanting an underage girl to have a provocative photo of herself in a SCHOOL year book is because of jealousy, not moral standards or being adult. :waw:
Hey Miss Cursing-is-Ok way to be hypocritical even if you agree with me :p

Also "the rights of public school students are not necessarily the same as those of adults in other settings" Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier

Last edited:
Hey Miss Cursing-is-Ok way to be hypocritical even if you agree with me :p

Also "the rights of public school students are not necessarily the same as those of adults in other settings" Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier

What has saying fuck got to do with appropriateness? Magazines read by adults have adult appropriate material, hence it's perfectly okay to swear in such publications/forms of media. It has nothing to do with schools.

Yes because not wanting an underage girl to have a provocative photo of herself in a SCHOOL year book is because of jealousy, not moral standards or being adult. :waw:

What has saying fuck got to do with appropriateness? Magazines read by adults have adult appropriate material, hence it's perfectly okay to swear in such publications/forms of media. It has nothing to do with schools.
I am the one who brought up appropriateness. You are the one who argued that it was irrelevant. Per the other thread:
Do you curse in school papers? It's not about whether or not the person doing it is smart or ignorant or anything like that. It's about the appropriateness. [...]
[...] A well timed curse word can emphasise a point, make a joke complete etc. You seem to have a very narrow and silly view on what are essentially just words. You put the meaning to them [...] They are words.

And do I curse in school papers? I don't know - you tell me. Let me ask you though, ever study a book IN SCHOOL with swear words or sexual references in? Yes. [...]

Kthxbai.
So what am I supposed to take away from this other than you are inconsistently and arbitrarily making judgements as to what is appropriate?Using your own logic from the other thread "it's just a photo." You are the one deciding what it "means."

Either there are de facto standards of appropriateness (your argument from this thread) or there aren't and everything is subjective (your argument from the other thread).

It's a stupid argument to make in this thread in any case because censorship is the prevention or prosecution of people in their exercise of freedom of expression. No one prevented her from taking photos, no one is preventing her from publishing them, the only thing that happened is they weren't accepted for publication by the yearbook committee.

I'm surprised a lawyer even took this case since 5 minutes with a first amendment textbook gets me "A school need not tolerate student speech that is inconsistent with its "basic educational mission,"" Bethel School District No. 403 v. Fraser

Last edited:
as someone mentioned above, she should exact her revenge in playboy. it's the only way to be sure.